AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Niles Audio PHD 30 speakers for a main level living area where most of my time with the wife is spent. During the building process of our home, I simply told the builder to install something decent but not expensive since I would most likely upgrade in the future (and that was 4 years ago)

Needless to say, I have not upgraded the speakers and I recently purchased a new Onkyo 607 and OPPO BluRay player. As most may expect, this has really improved the level of our home theater in our main living area. However, I am not impressed with the Niles front speakers (LCR). I can live with the ceiling "inwall" rears which are also Nile Audio.

When we built the new home, I included a dedicated Home Theater in the lower level with a front projection 110" screen, (recently upgraded) 1080p projector and 7.1 system consisting of VMPS front mains with the remaining speakers being Paradigm.

I understand that I cannot get the same sound quality from the "upstairs" unit as the "downstairs" unit however, I would like to improve. I would really like to upgrade the PHD 30's (since the wife can live with them) and am wondering if anyone would have recommendations as to speaker replacements, high frequency (tweeter replacements) or any other ideas (e.g. cross overs, etc...). I do not find these to be speakers that are used by many listeners although I thought a "Hot Rod" approach may be feasible.

If not, I can replace the speaker cabinets although my wife really likes the look. Specs. of the PHD 30's follow...

Dual 5-1/4" Injection-molded TCC (talc, Carbon, And Ceramic-filled) Polypropylene Woofers.

1" Teteron Dome Tweeter Fluid Cooled

SPECIFICATIONS

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Recommended Amplifier Power: 10W To 150W

Frequency Response: 70Hz-21kHz +/-3dB

Sensitivity: 88dB For 2.83V Pink Noise Input, Measured At 1 Meter On Axis

Dimensions: 6.2" Wide X 19.6" High X 5.6" Deep (including Wall Bracket)

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tris

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Do you have a sub upstairs? How big are the PH 30 boxes? Can you post some pictures of the cabinet with the drivers removed. Also some pictures of the drivers from the front and back. What size are the woofer and tweeter cutouts? Pictures of the room? As you can see, I need lots of pretty pictures to entertain myself.

If these will work with your box size, they would be my recommendation for the midbass driver. I use them in a TM design with a Morel DMS30 tweeter.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=264-1074

Here's the tweeter I'm using. For a MTM design, I'd probably use something else.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=277-014

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get all the information that you requested and post it. Thanks for the response. And yes, I can take plenty of pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts