AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I just made a mistake in purchasing the MX-500. Is there a simple way to program discrete codes in the MX-500 (assuming there is no coressponding remote button) or is the process so complicated that it would be worth the $75 difference to have the MX-700.

Can someone please verify that the MX-700 comes with everything necessary to program discrete codes directly into the remote.

Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
You can program discrete codes into the MX-500 by purchasing a One for All (8811) or Radio Shack (15-2104 or higher) remote that has access to advanced codes. If that doesn't do it, a JP1 cable can also be used to program the One for All or RadioShack remote with any discrete codes. They can then be learned to the MX-500. Take a look at our FAQ for more about this.

The MX-700 has a large database with many discrete codes, but you can also import them from Pronto CCFs and get what you need.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to confirm that the MX-700 can have discrete codes entered directly into it without the need for any other remotes. The previous post referred to using Pronto CCN's. Excuse my ignorance, but are those merely numbers that can be entered into the MX-700 or do you need a Pronto remote to enter the discrete codes.

I am trying to control the following:

JVC 32" TV

Infocus X1

Kenwood Receiver

Yamaha Receiver

Panasonic VCR

Panasonic DVD Player

Motorola Digital Cable Box

Motorola 5100 HD Box

Replay TV

Tivo

AV Toolbox Matrix Router

I was hoping to use the MX-500 but many of those devices require discrete codes to control on/off and inputs. I don't think those codes would be in the Radio Shack or All in One Remotes. That is why I believed the MX-700 would be better IF it can be programed with discrete codes I can pull of the internet.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but if you're talking about entering hex code combinations or something similar directly into the MXEditor then the answer is no, you can't do that. However, it's IR database has many of these codes already and you can look through the vast Pronto files on www.remotecentral.com for Pronto files (CCFs) that contain others. If you want to see how it all works, just download the MXEditor program and programming manual from our website or from www.hometheatermaster.com.

Bottom line is that you don't need another remote to program discrete codes into the MX-700.

·
Registered
181 Posts
To elucidate Mike's statement about CCF's a bit -- you can drag and drop any programmed/learned code from a Pronto CCF directly onto a button in MX Editor. As he said, no need for another remote.

The real question, to me, is whether you like the MX-700's layout or the MX-500's layout more. If it's a non-issue then I'd highly recommend the 700 over the 500 if you want ease of programability.

You can, indeed, save ~$60 by buying a JP1 remote and then programming the 500 that way. It's entirely up to the purchaser.

From what you've said in this thread, I think you'd be pleased with the MX-700.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
The editor for the 700 does not have a direct way to manipulate or enter codes. But it can import Pronto configuration files (i.e. CCFs) and the Pronto editor does have that capability (manipulate and enter codes) so indirectly the MX-700 can get discrete codes without the need of a second remote. Also the 700 is PC programmable, that means if someone has entered those discretes codes and created a config, he can easily share it with others.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I own and would recommend the MX-700 (or MX-800 if you want RF). The PC programming interface is easier for macro programming than the MX-500.

I programmed my MX-700 using factory supplied remotes and discrete codes downloaded from www.remotecentral.com (individual component section and complete remote code section).

·
Registered
282 Posts
I am in such a quandary as to which remote I should get...should I get the MX-500 with the JP1 and one-for-all or the MX-700? To me, the most important thing is that it controls all of my HT components, preferably with discrete codes, though I'm not certain many of them have any.

I have:

Samsung HLN467W

Denon 3801 (receiver)

Denon CD-Changer (not sure of model #...not at home presently)

Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD

Bravo D1 DVD (not sure which one I'll keep---Bravo is failing at reliability presently, so I'm awaiting its replacement)

Yamaha Tape Player (fairly low end)

Go-Video Dual-Deck 4060 VHS (no s-video, but a veeerry special player, indeed!)

That's the gist of it.

Would also be a plus to control other video devices, but not a requirement. I do see myself adding HD capability in the coming year, but whether it will be cable, dish, etc., is anyone's guess.

What remote is right for me? Are the codes easy to find? I am a software developer, so the programming aspect is not of concern---what is of concern is whether or not I can find the codes...I have yet to have a combination remote that could control enough to limit me to just one remote.

Ross

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The MX-700 would give you the most flexibility as well as future expandability. It has many of the discrete commands in its IR database and also has the ability to import Philips Pronto files to obtain more. It shouldn't have any problem with your components (although you would need the HLN upgrade for discretes for your TV and you might have to learn the Bravo commands). You can always download the MXEditor software either from my website or from www.hometheatermaster.com if you want to try it out and see what codes are available.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Giving it very serious consideration now. Also, I *think* I have the latest firmware for the HLN....I think it was 304 if I remember correctly, but I could be slightly off....I know it was in the 300s.

Also, can you plz pm me so I can send u a private e-mail?

Thx,

Ross

·
Registered
170 Posts
buy an open-box MX700. I did and it's worth every penny. I love the PC programming ability. The wife is already using it and I've not even had it 24 hours.

I control

Samsung 61 DLP

Samsung 151 OTA HD receiver

Sony DirecTivo

Onkyo HT-760 HTIB

Samsung 931 DVD player

Teac CD player.

and it works quite well. Only problems are learning the programming, how to import codes via the "universal browser" how to "hide" learned codes and string them into Macros, etc.

But I'm so glad I bought the 700 and at just over $200 for an open box unit it's only a great deal.

good luck.

Chad.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Was the open box unit damaged in any way? Is it safe to buy such a unit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris
Was the open box unit damaged in any way? Is it safe to buy such a unit?

Thanks.
I bought an open box 700 from Bluedo and it looked new to me. The batteries where still in the plastic shrinkwrap. I would suggest trying an open box item from Bluedo.

Jim

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwpomeroy
Mine looked brand new and is working great.
Did you also buy from BlueDo.com?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyP
The editor for the 700 does not have a direct way to manipulate or enter codes. But it can import Pronto configuration files (i.e. CCFs) and the Pronto editor does have that capability (manipulate and enter codes) so indirectly the MX-700 can get discrete codes without the need of a second remote. Also the 700 is PC programmable, that means if someone has entered those discretes codes and created a config, he can easily share it with others.
Are you saying that you don't need the Pronto to enter discrete codes into the MX-700? I understand that you can drag and drop learned codes from a Pronto CCF file into your MX-Editor file for your MX-700. Can you get and use Pronto Editor and manually enter discrete codes and create your own CCF file from which you drag and drop into your MX-Editor?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.