AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 31' by 15.5' with 9’ ceilings in a dedicated room for a theatre. Main use will be for movies. The seating will be 3 rows at 12’, 16’, and 19’ from screen. (behind that I’m putting in a bar/candy/popcorn counter) I’m budgeting $7k for Speakers, Sub-woofers, and six butt shakers. I can go as high as $10K (adding in the receiver(s) as well)

1st part I guess is should I go with a 7-2 system? Then the hard part how should I spend my money? Specifics brands and models on what you would do if you were me would be great!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
You definitely want high efficiency theater speakers, I would go with three JBL 3722 for the front, and four JBL 8320 for surrounds. That is $4000 for all your speakers, then you have $3-4k left for subs. DIY would be the best way to go in my opinion, and you get a lot more bang for your buck. Maybe four 18" sealed subs, you need a lot of horsepower to fill that space and keep up with the mains. Fortunately those JBLs are very sensitive and don't require external amplification, so a good quality receiver like the Denon AVR-X4000 would work well. You al;ways have option of adding amps later on, and this receiver gives you Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and SubEQ HT so you can fine tune everything.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would go with a 7.2 setup to begin with. I would go for a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver for its version of Audyssey, which will be a big help. Will the speakers be behind a AT screen? Here is one setup to consider at that price:

Front stage speakers: Pi Fours w/ upgraded drivers . These speakers are extremely powerful and measure very well for accuracy. They are also a easy load on any amplifier, so you do not need to get separate amps to drive them, any AVR, even entry level ones, will be enough for them to play loudly and clearly. With upgraded drivers and a nice wood veneer, these come out to about $1500 each. There is also the Pi Threes which would do very nicely as well and save some money. They don't quite have the dynamic range of the Fours, but they will get more than loud enough for most people.

Surround speakers: JBL 8320 . From what I can see, the are currently the best bang for the buck as far as surround speakers go. They are easy to mount, an easy load for any AVR, and they are the least expensive THX certified speakers available, which makes them very high value for the performance.

Subwoofers: I would go with a couple Funk 18.1 s or a couple of passive JTR Captivators and power them with an iNuke amplifier. A Seaton Submersive HP+ w/ slave would also be a great choice. You will want to ask about those subs in the subwoofer forum. Those are all extremely high bang for the buck subs. You can do even better if you are willing to go full DIY, of course.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
The above recommendations are both great. Another option would be to try and find some used or heavily discounted Klipsch Kl-650-THX speakers for the fronts. The recommended JBLs for the surrounds. You should be able to find the Klipsch for well under $1K a piece.

I would go with some large vented/ported subs in a room that large. Check out the home page to see "notnyt's" HT on the HT of the month feature. It has links to his sub builds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the help.  So far I have purchased the following:

Front Lt and RT.    Klipsch KL650THX

Front Center          JBL 3677

4 rear                     JBL 8350

So I need the receiver, Sub-woofers and maybe an amp.  I plan on having 8 theatre recliners with 8 Bass Shakers:

~~Specifications: * Power handling Capacity: 12 watts. * Impedance: 2 ohms. * Usable Frequency response: 20 to 100 Hz. * Fs: 42 Hz. * Force Nominal: 10 lbs. per ft.

Should I post now in the Sub section to ask about the need for an AMP. and based on above should I still go with the ~~Denon AVR-X4000 receiver?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
gunman... The Klipsch and JBL speakers you chose are all good speakers. However you're really going to want to have 3 identical speakers for the front, if your building this kind of system and putting good money into it then you should try to do it right. I would suggest getting a 3rd Klipsch KL650THX for the Center speaker. Movie theaters and hi-end HTs have 3 identical speakers across the front as that will give the best sound.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman606  /t/1525669/help-with-my-dream-theatre-audio-budget-10k#post_24605130

Thanks for the help.  So far I have purchased the following:

Front Lt and RT.    Klipsch KL650THX
Front Center          JBL 3677

4 rear                     JBL 8350

So I need the receiver, Sub-woofers and maybe an amp.  I plan on having 8 theatre recliners with 8 Bass Shakers:

~~Specifications: * Power handling Capacity: 12 watts. * Impedance: 2 ohms. * Usable Frequency response: 20 to 100 Hz. * Fs: 42 Hz. * Force Nominal: 10 lbs. per ft.

Should I post now in the Sub section to ask about the need for an AMP. and based on above should I still go with the ~~Denon AVR-X4000 receiver?
Problem in bold!!!!

Your front 3 speakers should be matched for best audio performance. Your center should be another Klipsch KL650THX if you are using them for front left and right

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1525669/help-with-my-dream-theatre-audio-budget-10k#post_24605248

Problem in bold!!!!

Your front 3 speakers should be matched for best audio performance. Your center should be another Klipsch KL650THX if you are using them for front left and right

+1, either return the Klipsch speakers and get another JBL, or return the JBL and get more Klipsch. You have a problem with that speaker selection.

·
Banned
4,273 Posts
A Klipsch THX Ultra2, Jamo THX Ultra2 or JBL system would work.

But something from Revel Performa-series, KEF R-series, RBH SX-series, and Atlantic Technology would be just fine.

No need to mix the brands. Use one brand for all the speakers. The subs can be different brands like HSU, SVS, Rythmik, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts