AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought the SVS 12.2 Sub from a friend. I have been reading about building my own sub for a few weeks now. I am wanting to build a sonotube using the SVS driver and a 500w Dayton amp (HPSA500). I have been call around town looking for sonotube I haven't been very successful in finding any. I found the Bascore-1636 16" x 36" Bascore Tube in another thread.

Using the SVS 12.2 driver, Dayton 500w amp and a 16x36 tube with 1 4" port can I make a descent sounding sub? I like the size of the tubing I found better than the bigger son tubes but I am not opposed to changing to a little bit bigger sonotube or changing driver or amps if needed. I also have access to another SVS driver if I need it.

I am in college and I don't have a ton of extra cash but I figured since I already have the amp and driver I could build a better sub than I could buy for the same cost.

This being said any opinions on the driver, amp and tube combo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just completed two SVS 20-39 clones (12.2 drivers). They sound very, very good. Tom from SVS helped me out a lot. My final enclosure is 105 litres internal and the walls are lined with 3.5" of pink insulation glued with 3M spray on adhesive. This tricks the driver into thinking the enclosure is approx 10% bigger to approx 115 litres. I used a full length precision port 4" and am tuned to approx 21hz. Endcaps are 1.5" mdf and I used a centre brace, looks like a donut in the middle. Subs are powered with a Samson SX1200 pro amp which produces 450 RMS per channel at 4ohms. The eztubeshiva kit from creative sounds is a good starting point. The online manual (creativesound website) is a great place to get some ideas. These subs shake my 17x12x8 room like nothing I have ever heard and reach reference levels of bass with ease. I would reccomend this build to anyone. Any questions just ask and I'll help if I can.

Derek

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finished my first sub and am very happy with it. It was surprisingly very easy to construct.

I actually had a change in plans from my original post. After reading a little more in the forum I decided to go with the EP1500 amp and return the Dayton amp. I also changed from a 16x36 tube to a 18x 41 inch sonotube with a 4x24 inch port.

Since then I bought a TC-Sounds db-500 when they were on sale.

I also purchased a ButtKicker amp on eBay very cheap. I tried the ButtKicker with the sub I originally built and liked the results much better.

I am now thinking about building a second sub with the db-500 and my remaining sonotube. I want to build the same sub but with a longer port, however I am not sure how long I should make the port. (I want to tune as low as possible)

Can I safely connect both subs to the ButtKicker amp or should I use both the ep1500 and the ButtKicker.

I have also read a lot about the Feedback Destroyer is it really worth buying one?

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or opinions.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickstuff2002 /forum/post/0

Ok so I bought the SVS 12.2 Sub from a friend. I have been reading about building my own sub for a few weeks now. I am wanting to build a sonotube using the SVS driver and a 500w Dayton amp (HPSA500). I have been call around town looking for sonotube I haven't been very successful in finding any. I found the Bascore-1636 16" x 36" Bascore Tube in another thread.

Using the SVS 12.2 driver, Dayton 500w amp and a 16x36 tube with 1 4" port can I make a descent sounding sub? I like the size of the tubing I found better than the bigger son tubes but I am not opposed to changing to a little bit bigger sonotube or changing driver or amps if needed. I also have access to another SVS driver if I need it.

I am in college and I don't have a ton of extra cash but I figured since I already have the amp and driver I could build a better sub than I could buy for the same cost.

This being said any opinions on the driver, amp and tube combo would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Hey, the great think about sonotube is that it is cheap! So, you can always throw something together and try it. If you like it, then great, finish it. If you don't, then you can start over with minimal losses. Just try what you have access to. It probably will not be your last project.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:

How long can I make the port

As long as you can make it fit inside the enclsoure. In fact, you can have it stick out. At some point, the port resonance will fall into the sub's passband and it will become audible.

Quote:

what are the differences in using a 2, 4, or 6 inch diameter?

The smaller the port, the more likely you are to have chuffing. The larger the port, the longer it has to be to keep a low tuning frequency. You have to find a compromise using simulation software like the rest of us do.

Quote:

Opinions on the Feedback Destroyer?

Mine has helped flatten the frequency response on my older subs and I plan to use mine on my new sub along with REW software.

-Robert

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:

How long can I make the port and what are the differences in using a 2, 4, or 6 inch diameter?

Opinions on the Feedback Destroyer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The BFD, and its variants, is the most popular EQ for DIY. It works well and is very affordable.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satansfx /forum/post/0

I just bought a DSP1124 for 56 bucks on ebay 2 days ago

Case in point...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.