AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

My first post! and Building my first computer!

Here are components have collected so far:

HARDDRIVE: SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 1.5TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

PROCESSOR: AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

MotherBoard + Grapphis:GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

DRIVE: LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model UH10LS20 LightScribe

WIRELESS PCI: GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS PCI Wireless Adapter

TV TUNER PCI: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner / Encoder 1229 PCI-Express x1 Interface

Needed:

HTPC Case with ecstatic feeling and PowerSupply. Do I need more than 500W for power supply? Any suggestions for both will be really appriciated.

Software:

I am thinking of installing MythUbuntu.

This will be my first unix installment. I have many questions here?

2. I can burn DVD from my work. But how will my HTPC will recognize DVD?

3. Do I need latest drivers? How will Hauppage tuner card and wireless card will work? And if I do need latest drivers, when can I install them? after installing ubuntu?

4. Will harddisk will work off the bet? do I need twiking?

5. Do I have to do something in BIOS?

And for MythTV:

I just want to have capability as same as TiVo. Recode TV and Watch! Can I stream Pandora and YouTube? Picassa Photos? and my media files (video, photos and music).

Sorry for lot of questions? Too much excitment around building first PC!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Will this work with Panasonic 58' 1080p TV.

Also, forgot to mention, included GPU with motherboard is ATI Radeon HD 4200!

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't give you details as I'm not a Linux guy, but I have done an install and all of those things should work for you. Most of them easily. You might also post on the linux area to get more help. The only problem I can think that you might have is the ATI drivers, but they may have improved on the linux side.

Most likely others will chime in here.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
There is no Linux driver for the 2250 last time I checked, although there was a project to make one. For your 1st HTPC I'd do a Windows 7 system, much easier to set up. Well worth $100 for the software.

Mythbunutu should be reserved for those with extensive Linux experience. That being said I love using Ubuntu for my desktop, but Myth was just too much work for me. NEVER use ATI graphics for Linux based systems, driver support is weak at best. If you want to play with Linux be sure to buy Linux compatible hardware NOW, then you won't have to rebuy if you decide to go Linux.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard really good reviews on Windows7 media center. If I choose that route, should I go with 32bit or 64bit? I just don't trust windows and it's updates..

Also...if this HTPC works, that's the only thing I will have, no dvd/blueray player. Assuming that I will end up buying 5.1 Speakers in future, do I still need AV Receiver?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts