AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the audio game as well as to AVS. I just recently purchased an HK 525 after reading the glowing reviews of it from AVS and its "easy on the pockets" price. I set it up last night and I'm just not getting blown away like people have typed in their posts when the volume is at -25dB for DVDs. When I had my old Sony Str-De 925 5.1 surround sound receiver hooked up, at only 3 for the volume it was pretty loud and it could go all the way up to 10. I know many dislike Sony on this forum for audio but it just sounds so much louder than my brand new HK.

Right now I only have 3 speakers set up until I can afford a set of Rockets (I'm a poor college student :) ). The mains are a pair of old KG 4 Klipsch speakers and the center channel is a JBL S-Center. I have them all hooked up w/ Monster Cable connectors, speaker wire, and coaxial cable for the DVD player.

I would just like to know for general set up for my speakers in the OSD On mode of the receiver. I know there is no way in determining exactly the settings because you guys have no idea of my room's acoustics and so forth. But my room is 13 x 15 ft in the shape of a small rectangle.

My speaker information for the KG 4 is as follows:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 38Hz-20kHz?3dB

SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 6 ohms

HF CROSSOVER: 1800Hz

For the JBL S-Center

MAXIMUM RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER: 150 Watts

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

SENSITIVITY (2.83V/1m): 91 dB

FREQUENCY RESPONSE (-3dB): 75Hz - 20kHz

CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES: 800, 3200Hz

With that information what would I put for the Crossover Frequencies in the Speaker setup when the OSD is on. I just want to get the most out of my new receiver. Thanks for using your time in trying to help me out This will be greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
I'm just not getting blown away like people have typed in their posts when the volume is at -25dB for DVDs.
That seems about right. I have 91db efficient speakers and I usually have my AVR-7200 at -30 on the dial. This level of sound is still not near reference level, but is still plenty loud without having to overwhelm my wife when she's in the room.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For what it's worth, I usually listen to movies at -6 to -10 dBs. 25 decibels less that what you are supposed to hear in a theater shouldn't be loud, so I don't think there's a problem with your receiver.

To set the speaker levels accurately, most people on this forum would highly recommend that you buy an Avia or DVE disk and a RS SPL meter to properly calibrate to reference levels. Trust me, it's well worth it. But even without calibration, 0 dB on the AVR-525 shouldn't be that far from reference level.

It sounds like you don't currently have a subwoofer, so I' dset all your speakers to large so that you get as much sound as possibel out of them. With a sub, I'd probably cross over the mains at 80 Hz and the center channel at 120 Hz, but you would have to listen and see what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was in your shoes a week ago, been crying for help for the 525 but no luck! What I did was played with all possible settings, it didn't hurt me because I still got a couple of weeks left before bringing it back to CC. I finally got it down to 0 db on all. The ez set for some reason raise my left to 10db and back surrounds to 8db which makes no sense at all. The manual do not help much at all and the 525 do sound much stronger over my Sony 695 which I moved to the garage now. The only drawback I noticed now is the surround settings will drive you nuts, it select it own settings and cannot be manually control except watching sat TV, till this day I still cannot enjoy the Logic 7 on any dvd because you cannot set it (it will automatically go back to Dolby2). I heard from this forum how good the HK 525 is which in turn made up my mind in purchasing this unit, much greater power over my Sony 695 but surround controls and settings are more confusing and I am still learning. HK tech support kind of want to get off the phone as soon as possible as I noticed and did not provide any solutions besides telling me to try all settings. I'm giving it a few more weeks before thinking of the 3803 Denon.

Good luck with your 525!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Kevin,

But, reference level means different things to different people. There are lots of variables to take into consideration:

1) Speaker efficiency.

2) Number of speakers.

3) Room size.

4) Room acoustics.

You might get to reference level with your 525 at "0" ... but, in my case, I might get there at -5 because of the differences.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxshepard
I was in your shoes a week ago, been crying for help for the 525 but no luck! What I did was played with all possible settings, it didn't hurt me because I still got a couple of weeks left before bringing it back to CC. I finally got it down to 0 db on all. The ez set for some reason raise my left to 10db and back surrounds to 8db which makes no sense at all. The manual do not help much at all and the 525 do sound much stronger over my Sony 695 which I moved to the garage now. The only drawback I noticed now is the surround settings will drive you nuts, it select it own settings and cannot be manually control except watching sat TV, till this day I still cannot enjoy the Logic 7 on any dvd because you cannot set it (it will automatically go back to Dolby2). I heard from this forum how good the HK 525 is which in turn made up my mind in purchasing this unit, much greater power over my Sony 695 but surround controls and settings are more confusing and I am still learning. HK tech support kind of want to get off the phone as soon as possible as I noticed and did not provide any solutions besides telling me to try all settings. I'm giving it a few more weeks before thinking of the 3803 Denon.

Good luck with your 525!
Read the Q&As on the HK website as they cover some of your points.

1. EZSet

Try setting the Master Volume to either -10dB or -5dB then run EZSet. HK purposely uses a conservative volume setting and if EZSet pushed everything high then either your room is larger and/or loudspeaker are less efficient. When I ran EZSet with my AVR 7200 (I used -5dB) and then I went back and compared using the Avia test DVD along with my Radio Shack SPL, the settings are virtually the same.

2. Logic 7

If the bitstream is PCM, then Logic 7 is forced on. If the bitstream is Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) then Pro Logic II Movies is forced on. If the bitstream is either 5.1 DD or 5.1/6.1 DTS then the DSP will autodetect by itself. For DD 6.1 EX since Dolby and THX provided almost NO DVDs with the flag this must be switched ON manually.

Hope this helps to clarify your questions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks M Code, that most likely answer the surround setting part. But do you notice when you run the EZSet 2 or 3 times it will comes out different settings each time? I'm going receive the SPL soon anyway, the Radio Shacks here never have them in stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.