AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a decent start on my basement theater... now I just have a question regarding my in wall fronts. I am attaching a picture to help the description, but I will explain the issue. The way the wall is set up, I got the center channel directly in the center, and I got the L/R speakers at an even distance from the center. The problem lies in the vent that runs vertically up the wall where I really wanted my right speaker. So, I had to space them out an extra 8" to clear the vent. Now, I'm afraid that I'm not getting the full effect of the speakers due to their spacing, and the fact that they point flat out from the wall.

So, my question is... is there any way I could angle the L/R speaker inward a bit (I am using Paradigm CS-160 v.2 speakers if it makes a difference). My idea (I will explain as if I am doing it to the right speaker), is to put about a 1/2" sliver of drywall on the right side of the speaker outside the wall and one on the top and bottom that slope in towards the center like a ramp. I will obviously putty, sand and paint to give it a finished appearance. It seems that this will effectively angle the speaker in towards the center when I tighten the mounts down... but will I run into problems of sound quality this way.

Or does anybody else have any ideas to help direct my sound?

Thanks in advance!!

Please ignore the state of the room, we just moved in and I have not had time to build my A/V rack yet. And the speakers are all perfectly level, I was using my phone to take pics and my skills are lacking... so they look slanted.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
As I understand it, it won't matter much for the woofer from the speaker. Tweeter is what you want to angle. On most in walls now a days the tweeters are aimable, so that might be your easiest option.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/16941460

As I understand it, it won't matter much for the woofer from the speaker. Tweeter is what you want to angle. On most in walls now a days the tweeters are aimable, so that might be your easiest option.

Yes, that would be by far the easiest option. But, from the information I have gathered thus far my tweeter does not seem to be aimable. I will pull the grill off tonight after work to be sure though.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If your tweeters are not aimable I don't think the effort for what you propose would be worth it. I suppose you can easily give it a try by shimming in a piece a wood at either speaker to see if the difference is worth it, but I don't think it will be. Good luck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 /forum/post/16941968

If your tweeters are not aimable I don't think the effort for what you propose would be worth it. I suppose you can easily give it a try by shimming in a piece a wood at either speaker to see if the difference is worth it, but I don't think it will be. Good luck.

I didn't think about shimming a piece of wood to just check it out before I went too crazy into it. Thanks for the idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts