AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still very new at HTPC and finally got all the parts needed, almost, still waiting on PVR/SageTV...

Here's my question, I'm using a MyHD card with a KD-VTCA2 transcoder (configured for 1080 and Panasonic TV) connected to my Panasonic CT-36HX41 HDTV using component cables. I'm not very familiar with setting up resolutions but I understand that I have to run my desktop at 480 (or even maybe 1080???) so I can display it on my TV. That (640x480) seems to work, however, it's not centered, it seems a little big for my TV, missing some sections on both sides. How do I go about fixing that and what other resolutions can I run with this setup? I downloaded PowerStrip and I'm completely lost! :) I did try setting up 1440x1080 and I get no picture at all. I am receiving HD and it seems to be working ok, just not sure if it's actually 1080i.

Also, if I play DVD on my HTPC using WinDVD will it be upscaled to 1080i?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if this was asked before, couldn't find any info on Panasonic and HTPC.

Here's what my system looks like so far:

Antec Case PLUS1080AMG

MSI 865PE Neo2 -FIS2R

P4 2.4C

1GB DDR 3200

Radeon 9600 PRO

Audigy2

DVD+-RW

2 WD HD, 120 and 200 (for HD)

Logitech MX Duo

XP Pro

MyHD

PVR-250 (on the way....)

Jamal

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
If you are trying to fix the output of the MyHD card with powerstrip, you can't. Powerstrip only works with the video card, not the MyHD.

As you know, the MyHD only has set resolutions.

If at all possible, I would set your desktop to the same resolution that you are usig on the MyHD.

"I am receiving HD and it seems to be working ok, just not sure if it's actually 1080i." Well, if the MyHD is displaying on your screen, than the resolution that set in MyHD is the resolution that your TV is receiving.

"Also, if I play DVD on my HTPC using WinDVD will it be upscaled to 1080i?"

Yes, the video card does the scalling.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again for your help. I have the Radeon card connected to MyHD card using the loop-back cable, I thought the video signal is just passed through that way? MyHD sets the resolution based on my channel I tune to there, right? I've seen 1920x1080, 720x480 maybe.

"Yes, the video card does the scalling."

What resolution should the card be set to? Right now I can only do 640x480, so that would mean 480p and not 1080i, correct?

Appreciate your help.

Jamal

·
Registered
502 Posts
Have you tried 720x540p in Powerstrip? This is the best compromise I could get to work for my desktop, and if you think about it, Nx1080 is going to give you an illegible desktop. Good for you, however, that you got the loopback to work. With my RCA transcoder, I couldn't get this to go at all. The HDTV output from MyHD was wrong, wrong, wrong (too dark and color-shifted). So I have my desktop going out of the VGA card through the transcoder into one component input of my HDTV, and myHD's output going to a 2nd component input via a VGA breakout cable.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
By Karnis on his Guide to Powerstrip...

I use 856x480p @ 540p timings (posted above) for best 16x9 desktop results. The sides are perfect on my set with less than half of the title bar and task bar cropped, quite manageable IMO. Your results may differ depending on your sets’ overscan. Try large icons and a Windows Standard -large- Appearance for a smooth, easy to read desktop and a neutral grey desktop color for even tube wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.