AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to swap the green CRT in my XG110. I'ce spent the last few days reading old posts and came across some great info on John Robinson's site. Here is the link:

http://www.jrobbo.com/NEC/XG135TubeReplacement.htm

One of the steps was to mark the positions of the CPC and focus magnets. I did a little recon this afternoon and the CPC magnets are easy to find and mark. I'm finding the focus magnets a little more difficult. I'm assuming the "gray box" just in front of the CPC magnets is the yoke and the "black box" in front of that is the focus magnets. Well here is my problem. There is none of the CRT's surface showing anywhere from the beginning of the yoke to the front of the tube. How do I mark the position for the focus magnet?

Also, I will be changing the tube with the projector still on the ceiling. Anyone have any pointers that are not covered in the link above?

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The Gray box is the focus coil. The black box that is snug against the front of the tube is the Joke.

Marc

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
No, reverse the order. The yoke is closest to the front of the CRT. There are no focus magnets, but there is a focus coil.

Just observe the position and rotation of the focus coil and reinstall in the same rotation. The yoke butts up againt the bell of the CRT, the focus coil butts up against the yoke. Don't lose the little spacer that fits in the front of the focus coil.

Remove the white tape from the old CRT neck and re-apply it to the new CRT.

I really don't think that a first attempt to change a CRT while the projector is on the ceiling is a great idea, though.

At least the green is the easiest one to change.

Vern

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. My XG Service Manual shows the focus coil as the one closest to the front. Any other service manual errors I should be aware of?

Gary

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Something to keep in mind, and this may or may not apply to your pj.

I marked all my magnets, and coils also, but after reinstallation, my astig and flare were not as they should have been. I had to adjust the CPC magnets. I'm not sure if they were off to start with, as I never used the pj before I changed out the tube.

Once you get it up and running, and center the raster, adjustment of the deflection coil is a given (coil that's right up against the tube's bell)

G Scott, I just noticed something while looking at your picture...those CPC magnets are butted right up against the focus coil? Have they been like that all along, or did you just move them up there?

Good Luck

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kenny, Great eyes!

Sorry about the confusion.

That is an extra green tube that I have lying around. (not Gary's) I slipped the magnet assembly a bit further along the tubeneck for safekeeping. Indeed the CPC magnet assembly is normally a bit further back.

David

P.S. Kenny,

I built a hushbox based on your design, although its not fully insulated and mounted yet. Hopefully, I'll get to it this week.
http://www.davidjfriedman.com/Hush/Hushbox1.JPG
http://www.davidjfriedman.com/Hush/Hushbox2.JPG

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help.

djordan,

The pic was great! Thanks.

KennyG,

I noticed my XG Service Manual recommends using a VESA1024 signal (which I assume is 1024x768). Should I use 1280x720 instead since that is the highest resolution I plan to use?

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes.. use the highest resolution you plan on using.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.