AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I am new to the list, but have been reading most of the posts and am thrilled to have found an area where my wife and I can get some ideas on our new home. Here is what we would like to do:

Audio/Video:

Distribute HD audio and video from 3 sources in the equipment room: (Satellite, 2 DVD changers) to the theater (7.1) the Master Bedroom (5.1) and the family room (5.1)

The family room will also have local inputs for video gaming consoles located there, and sound must be able to be broadcast through the built-in speakers as any other source will

Audio:

2 channel stereo to several locations, from these sources, also located in the equipment room: CD changers, music server, stereo tuner, sat radio

Output rooms: Master Bath, 4 bedrooms, den, kitchen, patio, courtyard, gym, office and bar

Video:

These rooms will have some type of video display, most likely Plasma or LCD, but we do not need as much functionality as the other areas, just the ability to pull Sat TV and run the audio through the room's speakers: Bar, kitchen and den

The home will have Cat5 wiring throughout in the hopes of at least having the wiring in place to expand the capabilities down the road, when hopefully my budget increases. There is also a security system and data/voice for up to 4 lines.

The installer we have talked to so far has recommended doing all of the pre-wiring for everything at a cost of about $5500, including the wiring and trim plates, but not any controllers. His thought was that we could then prioritize the hardware/system requirements for the rest of the budget, and add as we could down the road.

Questions: Thoughts on systems? He has suggested Speakercraft, Elan and Escient as possibilities. Evidently the new Fireball systems would allow us to have 2 different DVDS from the same stacked changers viewed simultaneously, which would be very nice.

Cost expectations? Weaknesses in existing technology or traps we should be aware of? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Sounds like your guy has it under control. The only question is are you planning on using touchpanels in the rooms for control? And if you go Elan I'm not sure how well the Escient music server integrates with the Elan touchpanels. Their own (Elan) servers integrate easily with controls and video (cover art, track info, etc) right on the touchpanel. Labor seems fair.

B.

·
Registered
675 Posts
No disrespect but the guy asked for opinions/suggest on various systems and the answer is "...your guy has it under control"???? Why is there such a lack of "opinions" about these (Niles, Speakercraft, Russound...) systems? Is it an unspoken code among installers not to comment or something?

This guy has asked for info -- I have asked for info in a separate thread (Niles vs. Speakercraft?) and NO ONE out there has any opinions/suggestions???

·
Registered
467 Posts
ELAN touch panels will intigrate with escient.

But escient has been known to update and not tell us here at ELAN so we have to scrammble to get the new GUI from escient.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think that the reason would be that they are very similar systems (especially between Niles, Speakercraft and Russound). Also, dealers are unlikely to install more than one brand of these systems and cannot accurately compare between them due to lack of experience.

CJ

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
That was not how I took it...I assumed he was saying Speakercraft speakers, Elan control equipment, and an Escient server--and thus my answer. And, like a later poster says, I think there is more difference between integrator skills than just the components they use. I.e. if the poster can find someone trustworthy, someone who won't overcharge him (which it seems he has found), and someone who is listening to what he wants/needs (which it also sounds like given the suggestions he's got), then he is most of the way there.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perilous /forum/post/0

No disrespect but the guy asked for opinions/suggest on various systems and the answer is "...your guy has it under control"???? Why is there such a lack of "opinions" about these (Niles, Speakercraft, Russound...) systems? Is it an unspoken code among installers not to comment or something?

This guy has asked for info -- I have asked for info in a separate thread (Niles vs. Speakercraft?) and NO ONE out there has any opinions/suggestions???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.