AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a new house which will be completed in April 2002. However I have to specify what I want in terms of electrical, pre-installing cables in the next 2 weeks. My media room will the the 17(L)x15(W)x9(H) family room with the 17' length open to the kitchen, which essentially double the space.

I currently own the following equipment in a dedicated 20x17x8 media room:

- Barco 1209 9-inch CRT projector

- Stewart 100" diag 16:9 screen 1.3 gain

- MSB modified Sony S7700 Cinematrix for 960p display to Barco projector

- Sony TA-E9000ES surround processor, ATI 5-channel amplifiers, Von Schweikert speakers.

Due to the family room environment, I will not be using my existing big Barco projector. I will be getting a DLP or DILA type projector to mount on the ceiling. I don't have to decide on which DLP or D-ILA projector I want until April next year, but I need to ask the builder to prewire for me all the necessary cables, and I have about 2 more weeks before the dead line.

I don't have much experience with either DLP or D-ILA except for what I read here, which has more information that I can understand. I basically need the following info:

1) How far away from the screen do these DLP/D-ILA type projector need to be? I am thinking of placing it 16-feet away from the screen (which is 1-foot from the back wall).

2) What type of input cables do these projectors accept? I would want to have 5 BNCs 75-ohm video cables. But what about DVI or SDI or Firewire? Which one of these do I need? What type of cables are these? How do I specify these cables so that the home builders understand them?

I am trying to avoid opening up the walls later on just to install a new cable.

So far from reading this forum, I like the coming Sharp 9000U 16:9 DLP, as well as the JVC G-15/G-20 D-ILAs. But these things change so fast that by April next year, I'm sure there will be something better to replace them. I just want to be ready for it.

Thanks for your inputs,

Phil

·
Banned
46 Posts
Although I don't know all that much about FP I do know about wire. I am currently an electrician. From what I have seen so far in homes Cat5e is the stuff that needs to go everywhere. Home Depot and Lowes sell an all in one cable that has RG6 and cat5 and a couple others formed into one sheath, I havent used it yet but it seems to be a good idea. Just make sure that your theater room is on its own circuit, at least one. just thought I would throw in my two cents. thanks Rich

------------------

Signature Reference Theater

·
Registered
855 Posts
Answer to #1 - it depends. Many of these projectors are just like your current projector in terms of zoom and focus flexibility. Some are more rigid (no zoom). Some are designed for short throw and some for longer throw. Some really expensive ones allow multiple lenses which can change the throw.

Answer to #2 - If you want to "wire for the future" you will need a more accurate chrystal ball than I can provide. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

However, one hedge against the future is to run a conduit or PVC pipe from the wiring closet to the location of the end equipment. Pull a string that is twice the length of the pipe through and tie it off at both ends. This will allow you to pull whatever cable you REALLY need when the future gets here. The double length string allows you to pull the slack to one end, attach the new wire to the MIDDLE of the string and pull the wire through without removing the string from the pipe (it can be used again).

There are a bunch of tips, techniques and tricks scattered throughout the home theater construction section of this board.

Good luck!

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips, the pipe and string is a great idea. I just tell them to put 5 BNC 75-ohm video cables in there and add the rest later.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Ok you will never know what you need till you need it I just did a room with a projector and found this out. But here is what I learned.

1. Run a s-video. vcr and cable will need this.

2. run a vga cable. If you ever want to plug in a computer or videogame.

3. run a regular video, you may never use this but it is there for nintendo or something.

4. run power

5. run at least 1.5" pvc with a pull wire.

6. don't forget to prewire for all your speakers

Most projectors will use an component in or s video. All will have a VGA connector. you can get an conponment to VGA adaptor and run your componment throught the vga wire. If you are getting a really high end projector you may want to run seprate rca wires to it. This is more costly the cable will run about $350 but get a good quality one it makes a difference. Here is the catch not all projectors will have component rca in. so run the s video and monitor cable and if your not getting a $3000 projector + don't run the conponment for now.

As for the distance. Depends on the projector... Can't help you there.

[This message has been edited by programmergeek (edited 08-28-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.