AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to this so excuse me if this is an elementary question.

Awhile back bought some new speakers (B&W 684 for fronts and B&W 685 for rears). At that time did not have the money to buy sub and center channel. I realize from reading that center channel has to match and most likely needs to be B&W brand. My question is pertaining to the sub. The salesperson suggested a B&W sub saying that they are dialed in to work with the speakers and that unless I was going to spend significantly more money that he would go with B&W.

Was this just the salesperson recommending his brand or is this true? When he says "dailed in", is he just talking about the crossover (read a little but don't know enough) I have read great reviews about the HSU VTF-2 MK3 (supposedly very musical but yet still great for movies) and can buy it for about $100-150 less than the B&W ASW 610. Can I "dial the HSU in" to the B&W brand or am I better of sticking in the B&W.

I do not really like uncontrollable, rattly bass. I listen to music a little more than movies, have a room that is 24'X 14' (part of the room is a play area and sound is not important).

Any and all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karken /forum/post/12875792

Very new to this so excuse me if this is an elementary question.

Awhile back bought some new speakers (B&W 684 for fronts and B&W 685 for rears). At that time did not have the money to buy sub and center channel. I realize from reading that center channel has to match and most likely needs to be B&W brand. My question is pertaining to the sub. The salesperson suggested a B&W sub saying that they are dialed in to work with the speakers and that unless I was going to spend significantly more money that he would go with B&W.

Was this just the salesperson recommending his brand or is this true? When he says "dailed in", is he just talking about the crossover (read a little but don't know enough) I have read great reviews about the HSU VTF-2 MK3 (supposedly very musical but yet still great for movies) and can buy it for about $100-150 less than the B&W ASW 610. Can I "dial the HSU in" to the B&W brand or am I better of sticking in the B&W.

I do not really like uncontrollable, rattly bass. I listen to music a little more than movies, have a room that is 24'X 14' (part of the room is a play area and sound is not important).

Any and all help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thats not true.

how much do u want to spend on the sub?

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I was a regional manager for a car audio franchise and spent most of my professional career in sales and marketing. Most retail salesmen are just that, salesmen, and unfortunately they are not very well trained and more often then not, they tell you things that just aren't true. B&W makes good subs, but there are better choices when it comes to the best bang for the buck.

Ian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to spend $500-800. But obviously if I could get something really good around the $500 that would be preferred.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karken /forum/post/12879044

I would like to spend $500-800. But obviously if I could get something really good around the $500 that would be preferred.

get the eD A3-300 WITH THE 130v.2 driver for $505 shipped

1 - 5 of 5 Posts