AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

As you can we this is my first post on the forums. I'm looking for an entry to mid level av system for my great room. My living space in the great room is 18 x 15. We sit on a wrap around couch 18" from a 70" TV (I just put in the TV a few days ago.). The whole great room is 51' x 15' so the sound bar I have currently is just not adequately giving the sound needed. I lose to much sound. If someone is talking in the kitchen I have to turn the soundbar all the way up just to hear the tv. So I really need some speakers behind me so I can hear everything. I don't want a surround sound system. I want a av receiver with the speakers. My entertainment system has a ps4 , Apple TV, wii u, and my Vizio 70" TV. I would like to plug all of them into the receiver. The TV is 4k. So I need 4k pass through. I would prefer Amazon. I would like to stay at 800 for the receiver and speakers. Not including the wire. Please tell me what wire to buy. I would like to start running the wire now. If pictures are needed I can do that.

Thanks in advance

Rustproofcorn

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

As you can we this is my first post on the forums. I'm looking for an entry to mid level av system for my great room. My living space in the great room is 18 x 15. We sit on a wrap around couch 18 feet from a 70 inches TV (I just put in the TV a few days ago.). The whole great room is 51' x 15' so the sound bar I have currently is just not adequately giving the sound needed. I lose to much sound. If someone is talking in the kitchen I have to turn the soundbar all the way up just to hear the tv. So I really need some speakers behind me so I can hear everything. I don't want a surround sound system. I want a av receiver with the speakers. My entertainment system has a ps4 , Apple TV, wii u, and my Vizio 70 inch TV. I would like to plug all of them into the receiver. The TV is 4k. So I need 4k pass through. I would prefer Amazon. I would like to stay at 800 for the receiver and speakers. Not including the wire. Please tell me what wire to buy. I would like to start running the wire now. If pictures are needed I can do that.

Thanks in advance

Rustproofcorn

I change the above to show feet and inches. I don't know why it said quot. nobody has an idea on a receiver with speakers?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry I guess I really didn't explain myself well. I'm not looking for a system put together. But rather a av receiver and a set of speakers. I can upgrade the speakers later if needed.

·
Registered
12,993 Posts
Do you mean you need to hear the TV better while you are in the kitchen, or you need to drown out people talking in the kitchen while you are listening on the couch??

If the former, I'd say you will probably want an AVR with 2 zone capability - one for the main listening area and one for the kitchen.

If the latter, you will probably piss off the folks trying to have a conversation in the kitchen. ;)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Ok how about help on Just the receiver then? For the entry to mid level. Around 500 bucks.
For an $800 budget, $500 on the receiver is a backwards ratio in my opinion. The speakers are what you actually hear, you want to spend most of your budget on those.

For a receiver, take a look at http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...rplay/1.html?gclid=CL-o3vHIv8QCFUlp7AodGC0AHA. It is a surround receiver, which goes against what you said you are looking for in your first post, but will give you a number of options for the future should you decide to expand.

I'm not clear from your first post what exactly it is that you are looking for. Speakers behind you would indicate a surround system, but those speakers wouldn't give you any dialog, which is what I suspect you are after. In that case look for a L/C/R (left, center, right, or 3.0) setup. You might check out RBH/EMP Tek, very nice speakers for the price:
http://emptek.com/r5bi.php
http://emptek.com/r5ci.php

But those are just one person's opinions, if you head over to the speakers sub-forum with a budget for those alone, many will have suggestions for you.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Move the seating area closer to the TV. 18' is at about 8' too far for a 70" screen. You'll be closer so the sound bar will be louder.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If your 18' away from the tv, you definitly need to move closer! 9-12' would be the sweet spot! A good avr for 500.00 would be anything from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, or Onkyo in that order IMO... Many on here buy from avs.com you can call as well, or acessories4less.com.

A4L.com sells refurbs to that can save you some $! Soundbars are terrible in my opinion and many others!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No way to really move closer to the TV without looking odd. I just went ahead and went to best buy and bought some stuff. Bought some speakers and a receiver. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Mkay, so what'd yah buy?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a quick question on speaker placement. Like I said before my space is large. I sit 17' 9" from my tv and my wife will not let me change this. The wall the TV is on is 8' tall by 9' wide. My couch sits on a wall that is 13' wide. My couch is about 12' long. My back left speaker because of the way to run my wires will be at the 9' mark so not all the way at the end of my couch. Will my surround sound still work this way? So essentially it will be 3' from the edge of a 12' couch. If it will work so I can make it proportionate can I do the same thing on the other side.

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
It'll provide correct surround-sound for the people sitting in-between the speakers. Some movies might sound a little strange to the people sitting on the "wrong side" of the speakers. In general, though, that won't be a problem. Most (but not all!) movies and TV stations just use the surround channels for vague "ambient" sounds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I attach a photo with my iPhone so I can get some opinions on speaker placement? I decided to move my speaker over to the end of the couch so that there is real surround sound. Those speakers are on my ceiling. Do they need to be pointed down?

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
Can I attach a photo with my iPhone so I can get some opinions on speaker placement?
I think so. You have to have more than 5 posts to AVS, I think, in order to be allowed to include attachments and URLs.
When responding to a post, there should be a section below the text entry box which says "Drag and Drop File Upload".

I decided to move my speaker over to the end of the couch so that there is real surround sound. Those speakers are on my ceiling. Do they need to be pointed down?
For the best sound speakers should be pointed in the direction of the listeners. That'd be down toward your sofa in this case.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't figure out how to attach still. But you answered my question. I have it pointed at my couch so that should be good. Thank you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol yeah I saw the image was sideways. Bummer. Well you will be glad to hear I got the system hooked up.

I do have another question if anyone is game. I have never had a sound system before so bare with me. I have the TV hooked to the receiver through hdmi. I have the TV speakers turned off. I can't get sound to come out the receiver. Do I have to get a optical cable for this to work? The sound from the dish tuner works fine. It just if I'm watching Netflix or something no sound comes out

1 - 20 of 28 Posts