AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am moving into a new apartment and I am considering getting a digital projector. I am very VERY unknowledgable when it comes to projectors. I dont want too large of a screen (89-100 inches max) My absolute max budget is 3000 but if i can get the same good projector I would like to spend less and invest more into my HT. My room will be controlled with lighting somewhat but here is what I am asking to do if even possible:

1. 1080p but not necessary if i get a good deal on a 720p projector

2. One you can see in the daytime as it will be a constant use projector. I can control the light a little bit but i want to make sure it is at least viewable with some light so that my living room doesnt always look like a cave :p

3. One that will last a while as it will be the main tv/movie screen. I do not know much about changing bulbs or lamps so whatever will keep it cheaper either by not having to change them as much or having cheap replacements for the parts when i do need to change them.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I suggest the panasonic ax200. 720p, very bright, and under $1k. For 1080p an optoma HD80 is about 2k and very bright. The best projector under $3k is probably the Epson 6500UB (best contrast), which is also very bright, but will set you back about $2800.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sanyo PLV-1080HD currently going for $1.4k at BB. You could invest the rest into audio or whatever you wish.

There are plenty of choices, especially if you don't need 1080p. 3k can get you a lot. Just remember that a projector is only one part of HT.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgumby85 /forum/post/15534958

Hey guys I am moving into a new apartment and I am considering getting a digital projector. I am very VERY unknowledgable when it comes to projectors. I dont want too large of a screen (89-100 inches max) My absolute max budget is 3000 but if i can get the same good projector I would like to spend less and invest more into my HT. My room will be controlled with lighting somewhat but here is what I am asking to do if even possible:

1. 1080p but not necessary if i get a good deal on a 720p projector

2. One you can see in the daytime as it will be a constant use projector. I can control the light a little bit but i want to make sure it is at least viewable with some light so that my living room doesnt always look like a cave :p

3. One that will last a while as it will be the main tv/movie screen. I do not know much about changing bulbs or lamps so whatever will keep it cheaper either by not having to change them as much or having cheap replacements for the parts when i do need to change them.

Thanks

Couple questions:

1. How far will you be sitting from the screen? Exact measurements are unneccesary but ballpark would be helpful.

2. You said you are moving into an apartment, and most have rules against mounting things on the walls and/or ceiling. How are you planning to place the projector? On a shelf? Under a table? How far from the screen itself? How are you planning to mount the screen?

3. You said you can control the lighting somewhat. I'm assuming that the walls are white, correct? Also, what type of light sources are we talking about. A few table lamps are one thing. Huge bay windows without blinds, for example, are something else entirely.

Changing bulbs is not rocket science. It simply requires a little patience, especially the first time you do it. They are somewhat expensive, and will dim over the life of the lamp. Have you considered the possibility of purchasing and extended bulb warranty, especially since your projector will be a daily use item?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz /forum/post/15536194

Couple questions:

1. How far will you be sitting from the screen? Exact measurements are unneccesary but ballpark would be helpful.

2. You said you are moving into an apartment, and most have rules against mounting things on the walls and/or ceiling. How are you planning to place the projector? On a shelf? Under a table? How far from the screen itself? How are you planning to mount the screen?

3. You said you can control the lighting somewhat. I'm assuming that the walls are white, correct? Also, what type of light sources are we talking about. A few table lamps are one thing. Huge bay windows without blinds, for example, are something else entirely.

Changing bulbs is not rocket science. It simply requires a little patience, especially the first time you do it. They are somewhat expensive, and will dim over the life of the lamp. Have you considered the possibility of purchasing and extended bulb warranty, especially since your projector will be a daily use item?

Thanks for the comments everyone:

Nillaz:

I will probably be putting the projector on a shelf or a stand. I am allowed to mount things (they are very linent here :p) however I will just probably mount the screen. I want to view it from 13-16 feet away depending on where i move around the furniture. The walls are actually a tan color, textured, and the only window in the apartment is a small on to the left of the screen about 10-15 feet away. The window has blinds and will have curtains
. The only light sources will be from lamps and the kitchen will sit far away from the screen and it is the next light souce (weird how they do not have any light sources in the living room huh?) I have especially looked at bulb warantees and the gentleman above said bb had a good projector as that will be good as i work there and can get discounts on the projector and warrantees. Anyway after that do you have any suggestions on screen size, projectors, etc..

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
All of the recommendations you've received so far are probably good ones, minus the HD80 due to DLP placement restrictions. The difference between 1080P and 720P at your seating distance on a screen of less than 100" is going to be negligible so I'd probably save money that can be invested in other aspects of your theater by going 720P. The Panasonic AX200 is probably an excellent choice for your room and should be on your short list. I might be a little reluctant on the Sanyo 1080HD since it's not the brightest projector around to begin with. After proper set up and after the bulb dims a bit you might not be satisfied with watching it with the lights on. Besides, at that price point you should also be taking a look at the Epson 6100.

Pairing screens with projectors is tricky. What one person loves another will hate, and appropriate screens will vary with projector and room conditions. With the Panasonic AX200 in your room I might go with neutral gain gray screen to improve black levels. Projecting from 17 feet on a 100" 1.0 gain screen with the Panny you're looking at something like 25 foot-lamberts! In that case the Elite Cinegray screen might be something to look at.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How hard is it to mount those screens and ax200 is sounding good... Also around how much are screens and is that certain series a powered, pulldown, or mounting screen. What can i expect for bulb like for the ax200 and how much would it be to replace the bulbs.. thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm amazed no one recommended the sub $2K Epson 6100. Less contrast than it's bigger brother and no 120Hz / frame interpolation, but just as bright and flexible. It's lamp is rated at 4000 hours in either high or low mode, and is sub $300.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Different screens from different manufacturers vary in how they get mounted. The level of difficulty is going to vary from person to person depending on how 'handy' you are, of course.

Price is also going to vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer based on fabric choice, and depending on whether you go fixed mount, pull down, or motorized. Stewart, for example, makes what many to be considered reference level screens but are probably outside the scope of your budget. Some other popular manufacturers are Da-Lite, Draper, Elite, Grandview, Vutec, Focupix, Carada, and Screen Innovations. I would suggest you do a bit of research on screens and I certainly wouldn't pull the trigger on any one in particular until you figure out where you're going to place your PJ. Some screens are angular reflective while others are retro reflective and this will have am impact on image quality based on where your projector is placed. Your projector is probably something that you'll replace/upgrade a couple years down the road, but the general wisdom is that your screen is something that can last you forever.

The cinegray is a fabric, not a mounting type. It can be purchased as a fixed frame, electric, pull down, etc. I personally don't like pull downs as they tend to develop waves over time. Fixed frames on the other hand monopolize wall real estate...everything is a series of trade offs, see?
BTW I wasn't specifically recommending that screen, I was using it as an example of something that might be suitable for your environment based on what you've told us. Spend some time in the screen forum and you'll learn a lot very quickly.

I don't own the Panasonic myself, but I believe lamp replacement costs are somewhere in the range of 300-400, which is pretty typical for lower cost projectors. If you look through the owners thread I'm sure you could find out much more definitively. Lamp life on the other hand is a crap shoot. It could last thousands of hours or you could get a bum one that blows out after 100 hours, thus the recommendation that you look into a lamp warranty. If you can get one at cost through work that's a great way to save some money, assuming that they're a reliable company. There are other choices, some of which are available through AVS sponsors.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO /forum/post/15545705

These guy's are having a sale on the panny. It is a package deal that includes everything and if you buy by the 19th you get an extra 300 off. Check it out here.... http://www.projectionguys.com/packag...icPTAX200U.cfm

That price after rebate is $200 more than most stores are selling it for. I guess if you need a screen it's an ok deal . The 6100 is a good compromise option.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd look at entry level 1080p projectors with a $3K budget. They will leave you the cash to have money for audio and a screen. The Epson 6100 is nice (I'm bias, as I have one and like it) and bright and would work well in a living room like yours. It's easy to find for $1899 or less. This will leave you money for a screen and more.

If you can stretch a little, a $3500 budget will you get well into the deeper black 1080p projectors.

-comix

1 - 12 of 12 Posts