AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to utilize a space in my basement for a home theatre type setup.

There is a sizable alcove in the foundation due to the turrett in the back of my home.

I was hoping to use this to house my equipment so the screen would be flush with the rest of space.

The problem I have is that there are no side walls in the space I am trying to use. Well there are walls but they are very far away.

WAF is not keen on putting walls in for a theatre, so I believe I will have to make due.

The major question I have is the positioning of my side surrounds and back surrounds.

Can they all be mounted on the wall behind the seating?

The following has been decided:

center - klipsch rc7

l/r - rf7

side - rs7 ??

back - r5800w - in wall ??

Should I keep all surrounds the same?

Here is a rough diagram of the space. The ceilings are 8 foot.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan
The major question I have is the positioning of my side surrounds and back surrounds. Can they all be mounted on the wall behind the seating?
That would be like having 4 back surrounds and no side surrounds.

One thing separates side speakers from rear speakers is the portion of the surround information they play back. The other thing that differentiates those side and rear speaker pairs is their physical placement.

For a 7.1-speaker set-up to have its intended effect, the rear speakers should be spread out behind the listening area but the side speakers really do need to be placed along the sides of the listeners. Otherwise you don't get the rear-vs-side separation in the surround field that 7.1 systems are intended to deliver.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynoonan
The major question I have is the positioning of my side surrounds and back surrounds. Can they all be mounted on the wall behind the seating?
That would be like having 4 back surrounds and no side surrounds.

One of the things separates side speakers from rear speakers is the portion of the surround information they play back. The other thing that differentiates those side and rear speaker pairs is their physical placement.

For a 7.1-speaker set-up to have its intended effect, the rear speakers should be spread out behind the listening area but the side speakers really do need to be placed along the sides of the listeners. Otherwise you don't get the rear-vs-side separation in the surround field that 7.1 systems are intended to deliver.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
danny:

Speaker stands would allow you to place your surround speakers on the sides whether or not there are walls there. While it is preferable to have a wall nearby to reinforce the speaker, it is possible to position them with stands. If you look in the front of a copy of Widescreen Review, you will see that an "ideal" placement of speakers is in a circle with the primary seating in the center of the circle. Among other things, this allows for the sound from each channel to reach the listener's ears at the same time. Most installations do not allow this because of the proximity of walls. So you are in a unique position: You may not have walls to reinforce speaker performance but you will be able to position speakers equidistant from the primary seating.

Good luck!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I hadn't really thought about stands. I have a 4 year old, 2 year old, and 6 mo old.

They will be using this space as well.

But, it might work, if the following questions work out.

1. If I mount the RS7s on the back wall, can I run the system as 5.1? Then connect the side surrounds and put them in place for when I want to listen/watch 7.1? The kids couldn't care less if it is 5.1 or 7.1, but I do!

I would have it all wired correctly, but disconnect the speaker wire from the side surrounds, so I can move them out of harms way while not in use.

Will my components recognize that the sides are not in use by having them disconnected at the speaker. Or do they need to be disconnected at the component itself?

2. Where would optimum placement of side surrounds be, when you have to rows of seating, in the middle? And what if you are only using one row, right to side of your seating, back about five feet?

3. should I go with 4 RS7s, or a comparable bookshelf?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You can't use RS-7s on stands. They are wall-mount speakers.

One other option is to mount sides on the side walls (e.g. to the far right in your sketch), even though that seems to be outside the listening space. Calibration will compensate. Unfortunately, the WDST configuration of the RS-7 would be a problem. You want a monopole (a bookshelf is a monopole) firing at the listening position.

Similarly you could do a monopole with a ceiling mount bracket.

You want to place it perpendicular to the viewing axis at the primary listening seat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So would I be better off with:

RS7s as my back surrounds

rb35s as my side surrounds

or

4 rb35s for the back and side?

If I have back surrounds connected and sides disconnected, will the backs be used as the surround channels for 5.1?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
RS-7s are great speakers, but IMO they're money wasted on back surrounds. But of you already have them, then why not?

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Danny,

Modern surround processing such as Pro Logic IIx runs the rear speakers in stereo. In order to hear the stereo-rear effect behind you, the speakers have to be somewhat directional. So I would use monopole bookshelf speakers back there; maybe the RB-7.

For the side speakers, I would use either the RS-7 bipoles or another pair of RB-7s. If the speakers are going to be away from the walls or far away from the listeners, then directional speakers (RB-7s) will be fine. If the side speakers are going to have a reflecting surface (wall) nearby or if they will be close to the listeners, then the more diffuse sounding RS-7s will be more appropriate.

Last thing you want is a directional speaker a couple of feet away screaming in one of your ears. Sure-fire distraction from the movie/music you're listening to.

BTW, how far away are the nearest side walls?

Sanjay

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be too far for me; especially with directional monopole speakers like the RB-7. If you're OK with mounting speakers on those walls, it's something you may want to consider. This way, sounds from the left, right and behind you will actually come those directions.

Sanjay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.