AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as stated in a previous thread I decided to go with the Onkyo 894. Now the task of getting it set up "properly". My knowledge of AV is very limited and this forum has been a great in helping me buy my Sony Rear Proj LCD TV last year to buying my new HTIB. Any and all help would be appreciated. Below is a list of items to hook up. What else is needed and how? Anyone with the patience to walk me through this would be greatly appreciated as my 8 yr old Granddaughter is getting anxious to see her Christmas DVD's with the new HTIB.

1) Sony KDF E50A10 Rear Proj LCD TV

2) Onkyo 894 HTIB w/ HD SP404 DVD Player & AV Receiver HT-R640 included

3) Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDTV (Cox Cable DVR)

Have already purchased 100' roll of 16g GE Prograde Speaker Wire.

Thoughts????? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just set up my 894 and really like it. Here are my thoughts:

1. The 894 comes with one HDMI cable. Use this to connect the DVD player to the receiver.

2. Buy two more HDMI cables. Don't overpay use mail order if necessary. These should be around $20-$25. Use them to connect your cable box (if HDMI is enabled) to the receiver and to connect the receiver to the TV.

3. Turn HDMI audio on using Setup on the receiver.

4. Good choice to upgrade the speaker wire.

5. Use a component, s-video, or composite cable (came with unit) as an additional connection from the receiver to the TV. This is for any analog inputs such as a video camera and for the on screen menus for setup. Best would be componenet but any is OK.

6. Use receiver setup to set the speaker distances and set the levels so speakers sound the same loudness from your most used listening position. I changed the crossover to 80Hz but that is my taste.

7. Optional - Buy a Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level meter and use it to reset the levels.

8. Sit back and ENJOY with your Granddaughter.

9. During the next few days move the sub around to determine the best sound. Toward a corner is more bass, away is less bass. (usually) I found about 1/3 of the way along a wall gave the tightest bass without sound boomy in MY room. Be sure to set distance and levels on the sub each time.

10. Continue to ENJOY!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts. Any one else have any other thoughts or is this the only "right"way do set it up. Also, if you can be specific on inputs/outputs would be great also. Thanks very much for ya'lls help.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
You could get a splitter and have the two HDMI sources go direct to the TV, and then run digital audio cables to the receiver, but then you lose the receiver's switching capability.

I'd go with the setup suggested.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Jim--Im no expert, but I have a rear projection TV and the Onkyo 894 and here is what I did after MUCH research and trial and error

All you need to do is:

#1. Run your cable from the wall to STB

#2 Run an HDMI cable from Receiver to TV

#3 Run a fiber optic cable from STB to Receiver (Sams Club-- 11 bucks)

#4 Run HDMI from DVD to Receiver

# 5 Run an HDMI from STB to receiver

So--3 HDMI's and 1 Fiber Optic. Thsis way you will get DTS/Dolby Digital, etc.

It works and I think this is the most efficient setup

Ed

·
Registered
160 Posts
And, the previous suggestion is probably correct in that you probably need s-video for a camcorder, etc.

Also, you will need to go to the receiver setup menu to tell it the type of inputs you need--if you need help let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, I'm sick and just don't feel well right now so I'm not quite thinking straight but what is STB? (I'm assuming my Scientific Atlanta DVR- Cox Cable box.) Also, Why do you feel this is a better set up? I already have 1 optic cable and 894 came with 1 HDMI plus other cables. Guess I need 2 more HDMI's for hookup. Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
STB = set top box

Any old cable box or digital video recorder that decodes a cable company's signal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Like I said I'm no expert, but this is the most efficient setup I came up with and it can produce Dolby Digital and DTS.

At first I thought that HDMI would take care of everything, but because the STB probably only has 1 HDMI output you need to run the fiber cable to the receiver in addition to the HDMI

Again, you may find a better way--if you do, let me know!

Ed

·
Registered
160 Posts
And everyone who tells you not to spend a lot of money on cables.... they are right!

Buy them at Sams Club--good quality and cheap. Dont go to Best Buy or Circuit City like i did for add-ons and accessories---this is where they make their money--not on TV's, computers, and appliances.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard a few times, that if possible,direct video connections to the TV are best, i.e. dvr to TV and DVD to TV. I am speaking of a Panny with two hdmi interfaces. Then use optical connections for audo. I believe this would not allow switching, but does it make any sense from a PQ standpoint?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It probably does. Less things to mess with the signal the better.

I honestly haven't seen a difference with my setup, though. It might if I had a better TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm getting ready to install my system this weekend. Things have been hectic but anyway now I get to see what this 894 is all about. Any other thoughts or consensus on the "best" way the set it up? Thanks in advance everyones input. Hopefully this will knock our socks off. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm a newbie poster here, but have been reading for a while. The opinions here helped us decide which HTIB to purchase, and we decided on the Onkyo 894. We have basically the same set-up as far as Sony KDF-E42A10 tv, and Scientific Atlantic Explorer 8300 HD cable box. We have read the manuals, and followed the instructions in this thread on how to set this all up. I also went to the Sony eSupport for the instructions and printed them out.

We purchased 2 more HDMI cables, 1 fiber optic cable, and upgraded on the speaker wire.

The problem we are having is that we get audio but no video when playing the dvd. We went into the set-up through the receiver and selected the HDMI for the dvd. At this point we are a bit frazzled, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize if I should have started a new thread for this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you assign the HDMI input to the DVD input? Is that what you meant by selected? If not, check the manual on how to do it. There is also a button on the front of the receiver that cycles thru the digital sources that might work. Also be sure to select the proper source on the TV. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
jmps. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do believe that is the way we selected it. Was on the phone earlier with the cable company and they at least got me hooked up for the tv with the HDMI cable. It's direct, though, from the cable to the tv. Now the problem seems to be that once I reconnect all the HDMI's as recommended here for the HTIB, I loose my tv.

Will play with it a little more soon. Had to take a break from it Was making us crazy!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Grama DEb,

As JMPS said, you need to go to the setup of your receiver and let it know that the DVD is hookedup through HDMI. If not, you wont get video.

And remember(I have the same setup)...

DVD to Receiver HDMI

STB to Receiver HDMI and also a Fiber cable

TVto Receiver HDMI

It will work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.