AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I need some help and recommendations from the AV gurus out here. I'm in the market for an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver and looking for a replacement of my 8 year old trusty Yamaha RX-V1200. So far the specifications look pretty impressive. However, in reading through the manual, it seems that the only way to play SACDs (of which I'm a big fan) is DSD via HDMI. Unfortunately, the current SACD player I have Sony DVP-NS775V only has six discrete analog channels -- no HDMI

It's possible that I have overlooked the connections. So the question to you all is, is there a way to connect my SACD to the receiver and enjoy the 6-channel surround sound? Or am I dead in the waters and have to get a new SACD player with an HDMI out? Many thanks in advance for any input can provide.

Andy

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Couldn't even find it on Onkyo's website. Found it on Amazon and looked at the back panel, no 5.1 analog inputs. That sucks!

You'll either have to get a different receiver or a new sacd player!. I know the Oppo 980 does DSD via HDMI.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi afrogt,

You are correct. I got the manual from us.onkyo.com. Sorry, I cannot post a URL. I'm thinking of getting a new SACD player.

Thank you.

Andy

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanur /forum/post/16950604

Hi afrogt,

You are correct. I got the manual from us.onkyo.com. Sorry, I cannot post a URL. I'm thinking of getting a new SACD player.

Thank you.

Andy

You can get an 980 Oppo on Audiogon for less than 150 as they are being dumped for the new 83 blu ray...and the 980 plays DSD, you wont regret it.

DJoel

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanur /forum/post/16950365

Hi everyone,

I need some help and recommendations from the AV gurus out here. I'm in the market for an Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver and looking for a replacement of my 8 year old trusty Yamaha RX-V1200. So far the specifications look pretty impressive. However, in reading through the manual, it seems that the only way to play SACDs (of which I'm a big fan) is DSD via HDMI. Unfortunately, the current SACD player I have Sony DVP-NS775V only has six discrete analog channels -- no HDMI

It's possible that I have overlooked the connections. So the question to you all is, is there a way to connect my SACD to the receiver and enjoy the 6-channel surround sound? Or am I dead in the waters and have to get a new SACD player with an HDMI out? Many thanks in advance for any input can provide.

Andy

Are you sure you have the model # for that receiver you are wanting is correct? The Onkyo 807 is not out yet. I haven't seen the specs for the upcoming 807, but I would find it hard to believe that you can't connect it the same way that your Yamaha 1200 is connected. If you indeed want to connect by HDMI only you would have to purchase a new source player. The one to get for doing everything would seem to be the new Oppo BD player that does play SACD/DVD-A, Blu-Ray, and upconverts DVD. Otherwise you can get the 807 and keep your current Sony DVP-NS775V and connect it through the analog cables.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16952843

Are you sure you have the model # for that receiver you are wanting is correct? The Onkyo 807 is not out yet. I haven't seen the specs for the upcoming 807, but I would find it hard to believe that you can't connect it the same way that your Yamaha 1200 is connected. If you indeed want to connect by HDMI only you would have to purchase a new source player. The one to get for doing everything would seem to be the new Oppo BD player that does play SACD/DVD-A, Blu-Ray, and upconverts DVD. Otherwise you can get the 807 and keep your current Sony DVP-NS775V and connect it through the analog cables.

Is not yet out but the manual is out, *tt*://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=SN29400021_TX-NR807_En_web.pdf

There's no way to connect is old SACD player, cause there's no analogue inputs... last generation receiver, 806, has analogue inputs.

A shame that all they do is to update a few minor things but always take the most important things every new generation... all they care is the $$$

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo /forum/post/16953128

Is not yet out but the manual is out, *tt*://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=SN29400021_TX-NR807_En_web.pdf

There's no way to connect is old SACD player, cause there's no analogue inputs... last generation receiver, 806, has analogue inputs.

A shame that all they do is to update a few minor things but always take the most important things every new generation... all they care is the $$$

I googled this receiver and found the link. Unbelievable that Onkyo would leave this type of connection off. What about all those people out there that have BD players that have to have the analog outs? The Op needs to seriously consider the 806 instead. It will do everything he wants unless he wants DPLIIz. If not go to a different manufacturer. For the price of the 807 it's not worth it IMO. Too many other receivers out there in that price range that will do what he wants. The Denon 1910 or 2310 will do what he needs and save money to boot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you can get the 807 from shoponkyo mine was just deliverd now waiting on the rest of my aperion speakers(towers, center ) sub, side ,rear were deliverd on wed will post pic later when i find out how 2

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccway44 /forum/post/16953700

you can get the 807 from shoponkyo mine was just deliverd now waiting on the rest of my aperion speakers(towers, center ) sub, side ,rear were deliverd on wed will post pic later when i find out how 2

The Op also wants of these but it has no multi-channel analog inputs from the websites we have look into. If you want to use SACD with this receiver it has to be with a player that is HDMI 1.2 or above compatible. As the OP stated that is one of the things that he wants the most. As I stated in a previous post on this thread if he gets this receiver he will have to get another SACD/DVD-A player. Seems like a mistake on Onkyos part not to add this capability on a NEW model what with all the people out there that use multi-channel analog inputs. That's whether using a SACD or BR player. This would seem to me anyway to limit the market. Backup a model year and there they are. Not everyone is going to go out and by new source players in order to use thier NEW model receivers. Hope yours works as needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. I already have a BR player (Sony PS3), so I don't have the need for the Oppo player. I might just take the plunge and get an el cheapo DVD player that also plays SACDs (perhaps a used one). the TX-NR807 will be available on Amazon for $999 on August 31. ccway44, I'd be interested in seeing how your set up turns out. I was kinda sorta leaning toward the 806, but the 807 will stream internet audio content -- that's really huge.

Andy

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanur /forum/post/16955118

Thank you all for the suggestions. I already have a BR player (Sony PS3), so I don't have the need for the Oppo player. I might just take the plunge and get an el cheapo DVD player that also plays SACDs (perhaps a used one).

If you are expecting one that has HDMI output for SACD, you may not find much. Most of them have analog outs.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanur /forum/post/16955118

Thank you all for the suggestions. I already have a BR player (Sony PS3), so I don't have the need for the Oppo player. I might just take the plunge and get an el cheapo DVD player that also plays SACDs (perhaps a used one). the TX-NR807 will be available on Amazon for $999 on August 31. ccway44, I'd be interested in seeing how your set up turns out. I was kinda sorta leaning toward the 806, but the 807 will stream internet audio content -- that's really huge.

Andy

First, what model PS3 do you have? If it is one of the launch PS3's (e.g. 60gb model) it has SACD support (converted to PCM and sent over HDMI). Also, I don't think the 807 accepts and decodes a native DSD signal (must be converted to PCM in the player and sent over HDMI), I belive only the Onkyo 876/906 have that ability.

If you don't have a launch PS3 and need analog inputs you can probably pickup a Denon 3310 for just a couple of hundred more more (I got mine for $1300 CDN plus tax so I'm sure you can do better in the U.S.) and it has analog inputs (and outputs) and also is a networking receiver. The 3310 does have 7.1 analog inputs, has a GUI overlay (don't know if the Onkyo has this for the 807 but it didn't in last year's model) and more importantly it has the Anchor Bay 2010 chip for video whereas the 807 uses the outdated Faroudja chip set.

BTW, if you are interested in an Onkyo w/networking why not try find a deal on a 906, you can probably find one of those for only a couple of hundred more than the 807 as it's due to be replaced soon; it includes analog inputs and it has the REON VX video processor which is top flight. In addition, the 906 has Audyssey MultiEQ XT versus just MultiEQ on the 807 or even Denon 3310.

If it helps in your decision, I have both an Onkyo 876 (similar to 906 but no networking) and a Denon 3310, while the Onkyo packs a real whallop I find the user experience more satisfying with the Denon 3310 (quicker HDMI switching, GUI overlay is a great feature, and dedicated audyssey buttons on the remote). However, if you have a big room to fill with sound or have inefficient speakers the Onkyo 876/906 is a better fit.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts
I can't believe Onkyo dropped the MC inputs on the 807
. With the 806 Onkyo watered down the 805 somewhat. Now the 807 is THX Select Plus not Ultra 2 Plus and I did not see the weight but it could be lighter (not a big deal I guess). But Onkyo added network capability, Audyssey DSX and DPLIIz so I guess you have to give a little to get a little
. Although it would have been nice if Onkyo built all the added features of the 806 then the 807 on the original 805 platform

Bill

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Or you could go with a refurb 906 which also has Network Audio plus HD Radio and a Torrodial power supply. It also has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, ISF calibration, The HQV Reon VX, plus the analog inputs you need. I would think you would benefit more going with the 906 instead of the 807 + new SACD player. You can find the 906 for a great price at shoponkyo (sign up, it's free) and I would recommend going through them. I bought my 805 refurbed from them and it looked brand new. best part is it had all of the latest firmware updates and had worked flawlessly since entering my rack a year ago.

·
Registered
14,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16957850

Or you could go with a refurb 906 which also has Network Audio plus HD Radio and a Torrodial power supply. It also has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, ISF calibration, The HQV Reon VX, plus the analog inputs you need. I would think you would benefit more going with the 906 instead of the 807 + new SACD player. You can find the 906 for a great price at shoponkyo (sign up, it's free) and I would recommend going through them. I bought my 805 refurbed from them and it looked brand new. best part is it had all of the latest firmware updates and had worked flawlessly since entering my rack a year ago.

I agree 100% on the above if it works for the OPs budget. I have bought a 805, 885 and 886 from shoponkyo and all have been trouble free (knock on wood
).

Bill

1 - 16 of 16 Posts