AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all experts on outdoor speaker selection...

We just installed a new pool here in east Texas and want to add speakers outdoors that will be hooked up to my indoor Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver. I'd like to add 4 or more speakers spaced around the yard and pool. My daughter's 15th birthday is coming up the first week of May. She'd love to have a pool party with lots of great music!

A few questions:

1) Are omni-type (360-degree) speakers OK for this?

2) If so, which brand would you recommend?

3) Is a subwoofer also needed? Again, which brand?

4) Is there a better alternative for both speakers and sub?

5) Can speakers be run "piggy backed" with this receiver?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I'm going to be picking out a pair here soon. I am not the expert to give advice. But here is a link to an internet direct company from Texas (I wonder if they are close to you). They seem to be a reputable company, and there is a thread on here from owners of their speakers.

http://www.htd.com/outdoor-speaker;j...NmQaheLe3iTb40

I'll be following this thread so gives us a review of whatever you go with. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, mphfrom77.

I guess it's pretty evident that I'm a little concerned about getting the backyard set up musically with the proper speakers. I did check the link that you provided. I also have to deal a bit with the "wife factor". She really doesn't want me to attach speakers to the house. This past week she heard some omni-directional speakers from Bose that she thought sounded "nice". I've seen other "omni" type speakers at *******************.com, for instance, but I can't vouch for the quality of theirs compared to those from Bose.

Just looking for some assistance from those in the know...

Thanks again for your note.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I like Mirage omnisats but haven't heard their outoor stuff - I do think that omnisats would be a great choice for your application. I like what I've heard from them way better than Bose, SHOCKING!

Ron

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have done the outdoor speaker thing twice. My son has a friend that works for an audio/visual company. They ran premium wire through the attic and out to our deck for two pairs of speakers. The pairs of speakers are connected in series to the B connection on my indoor THX receiver.

I like the JBL N26AW II. They can often be had for less than $160 a pair
http://www.jr.com/jbl/pe/JBL_N26AWII/ . The JBLs have very good sound quality and will play reasonably loud. I use one pair as the rears in one of my 5.1 systems (JBL L820s, JBL LC2 and two 15 inch subwoofers) and only take it outdoors when we want music on the deck.

Outdoor subwoofers are very expensive. Part of subwoofer sound loading indoors is room effects that can increase the bottom octave 6db or more. You will not get that outdoors.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
At our beach house, because I had an extra receiver, I just take the JBL N26AWs outdoors by the pool when we want outdoor music. The room with the stereo is adjacent to the deck by the pool. If you went this route, then it would be easier to supplement the pair of full-range outdoor speakers with a subwoofer (which could be used primarily indoors). I do not like leaving the speakers outdoors because of the salt air (that is corroding the stainless steel on my Weber grill and seems to be causing damage to the outdoor speakers on the deck at my daughter's house).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take a look at Technomad from Massachusets. I think most cruise ships use their speakers as well as some major theme parks. Started out as a speaker specified for the military. I like how they utilize compression drivers for the high frequencies instead of a standard dome. Much more rugged.

http://www.technomad.com/

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/18339648

I like the JBL N26AW II. They can often be had for less than $160 a pair
http://www.jr.com/jbl/pe/JBL_N26AWII/ . The JBLs have very good sound quality and will play reasonably loud. I use one pair as the rears in one of my 5.1 systems (JBL L820s, JBL LC2 and two 15 inch subwoofers) and only take it outdoors when we want music on the deck.

I bought a pair of N26AWii's and wasn't too thrilled with them (still need to sell them). I then bought some S36AWii's and liked the sound of them a little more, but still wasn't impressed with their output.

...But I did also buy 4, 12" subwoofers for use outside, so maybe I was demanding more output than most? So maybe most would be happy with the performance of the N26 and S36?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts