AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new oval dish (replacing the round one)to get HDTV. My installer set it up and I had a TV under the actual dish. He ran one Coax line into a receiver and all was well (80's signal for 101 and 70's for 119).

He finished the installation, There were two lines of coax coming off of the oval dish...he installed a multiswitch (one switch with 2 Sat inputs, 1 antenna input and 4 receiver outputs)and three lines of coax went from the outputs to the reciever.

Now, after he leaves...Something odd is happening. I can't get a good signal on 119. The meter will come up, it'll hit low to high 70's for 10-15 secs...then drop to nothing for 5 secs, then spike up to 80's for a second...then back to 70's and repeat. Changing to channel 400 shows spanish, then breaks up and into english, then back to spanish.

This guy didn't have a lot of experience with the oval dish. I'm beginning to suspect that he improperly hooked something up. Apparently there's another "multiswitch" that comes with the dish and is installed up on the dish so that four coax lines come down into two. Is the problem there, or is the multiswitch he's going into from those two lines the wrong one....or...am I completely off base??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
The multiswitch that usually comes with a 24" elliptical dish is a 4x4 multiswitch. It takes four inputs, two from each of the two dual LNBs. It has four outputs, for up to four receivers.

The multiswitch can be mounted on the dish or it can be mounted at the entrance to the house or in the house itself. If it's mounted anywhere else besides on the dish, you will have to run all four cables from the dish to the multiswitch. If you're only hooking up one to three receivers, then you would only have to run one to three cables from the multiswitch to the receivers. At four receivers, it's a moot point.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
2 lines ber LNB should be coming from the dish to the switch (4 total). It sounds like you have a good switch that will diplex in OTA. 8900 switch is not mandatory, it's a simple 22 KHz 4x4 switch (without the best reliability). As per Tom, sounds like he only ran 1 of 2 cables per LNB (bad) unless you have only one receiver and then use a simple 22 kHz 2x1 switch ($20).

Can you give model number & manufacturer of switch?

Can you say which inputs and outputs are connected from the switch. (3 lines to the receiver isn't making sense to me).

They should be labeled.

Tim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's my theory...he ran the four coax lines (2/LNB) into a 4x2 multiswitch...then ran the two outputs (that are supposed to only go to two receivers) into another 2x4 multiswitch and tried to connect 3 receivers to it...

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Something sounds screwy here. We need to know these facts. There should be 4 cables from the LNBs to the Multi-Switch (MS). There is no need to detach them, just look and see how many cables come out of the extension arm.

All the MS's I have seen come with the Oval Dish are 4 in (from the LNBs) and then 4 out to the receivers, known as 4x4. You use as many of outputs lines as needed.

If you verify the above we can go from there.

The signal variations sound as if the receiver is searching for the proper Satelites, and their transponders. I saw this effect once when a friend forgot to tighten all his connections to the LNBs. I actually found one that had completely detached.

*** One last thing - Is your receiver set for the proper Dish. Check your Service Menu !

[This message has been edited by Dmon4u (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klondike:
Here's my theory...he ran the four coax lines (2/LNB) into a 4x2 multiswitch...then ran the two outputs (that are supposed to only go to two receivers) into another 2x4 multiswitch and tried to connect 3 receivers to it...

Any thoughts??
Could be, but typically the standard Multiswitch that comes with the oval dishes is a 4 in - 4 out, so that may not be it.

Obviously you've got a problem if the picture won't lock in, but don't worry too much about the signal strength meters. I converted to an oval dish a few months ago, and the signal meters on my old Sonhy (A-3 and B-3) receivers are still flaky. They show a good signal, then drop to zero, then show a signal, the drop to zero. They've been doing that since the oval install. The receivers display the channels just fine, and if you didn't look at the meters you'd never suspect anything was wrong.

According to my HT dealer, some of the older receivers aren't expecting to see the voltage changes that are induced by the multiswitch, so it makes the signal strength meters go wacky.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone...

My eliptical dish came with a 4x2 switch (that's attached to the dish). My installer didn't realize that it only supports two receivers. He hooked it up to another 2x4 multiswitch and tried to run three receivers from it.

I connected only two receivers to the feeds coming off the 4x2 switch and everything is great. Of course, I really need three receivers, so I'll have to replace the 4x2 with a 4x4.

Thanks to all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.