AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently living in the US and I wilI be moving to the UK within the next year and I am hoping someone here can help me with my little conundrum. As we all know the US uses NTSC and UK uses PAL for their video signal, I would like to take my current TV, a 5 year old Sharp 60hz 40" TV, to avoid buying a new one when I get to the UK. Does anybody know of a good reputable PAL TO NTSC converter? I did a quick search and found a few but I'm not sure what to look for. I am not familiar with the video products in the UK. I would need the converter to obviously have HDMI input and OUTPUT for local HD content. The only other option I would have is just to buy a brand new TV once I arrived in the UK, but if I can save some money why not. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Any of the major video processors (DVDO, Lumagen etc) will accept PAL on all their inputs and output through HDMI in 60Hz if that's what you want. If you want input support for anything up to 1080p50 you can use something like a DVDO Edge, which is about $250 second hand or $500 new.

You SHOULDN'T do that though. You'll introduce stutter to all 25/50Hz material and for the price of a decent video processor you can easily just get a new TV. Remember that you need a strong voltage converters for all your US equipment as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Any of the major video processors (DVDO, Lumagen etc) will accept PAL on all their inputs and output through HDMI in 60Hz if that's what you want. If you want input support for anything up to 1080p50 you can use something like a DVDO Edge, which is about $250 second hand or $500 new.

You SHOULDN'T do that though. You'll introduce stutter to all 25/50Hz material and for the price of a decent video processor you can easily just get a new TV. Remember that you need a strong voltage converters for all your US equipment as well.

Yes I know about the voltage converters, and you are probably right, I'm better off just buying a TV there. But now this reminds me, I have a Sony soundbar that I use as my main speaker, everything is connected to it (fios, ps3) via HDMI and then from the soundbar to my TV via HDMI. I would I would assume either I get a video converter if I want to keep it or just buy a soundbar along with a TV when I get to the UK. Never thought about that one component.

Ps. Never mind I just realized I can use optical cable for sound on the soundbar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts