AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sorry for this silly question but I searched all afternoon with no luck.

I have a Panasonic 50PZ77 (50" Plasma 1080p panel) that just developed three vertical lines. It's outside the 1 year manufacturer's warranty but I bought an extended warranty, and they sent a technician out today to inspect the problem.

He filled out paper work and told me that they will most likely be replacing my whole set for a new one; apparently the cost to repair it is astronomical.

Anyhow, I haven't really kept up with Panasonic's plasma line of TVs since getting this set, which I've been very satisfied with.

I looked at Panasonic.ca and left confused. There's now U/S series, G series, V and Z series; apparently all are 1080p. Just so I'm prepared, can someone tell me which of Panasonic's current 50" plasmas is nearest to, or a direct replacement of the 50PZ77? And is there something that's in the current models to look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
There isn't going to be a direct replacement since your 77U has the aggressive anti-glare screen coating that is no longer available. I would say that the TC-P50S1 would be the closest replacement..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That model does seem to match pretty well. There is also the 50G15; from what I gather it's also very similar but with PC VGA inputs and a LAN port which I don't think I'd need.

Yeah, I remember the whole anti-glare fiasco on the 77. Some hated it while others liked it. I had no issues with it myself.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 /forum/post/16946670

Thanks for the reply. That model does seem to match pretty well. There is also the 50G15; from what I gather it's also very similar but with PC VGA inputs and a LAN port which I don't think I'd need.

The G15 is a teensy step up from the G10 but only in asthetics - it's the exact same TV except for the thinner upper rear cover and small silver strip below the screen. Aside from this, they are the same exact TV.

The G10/G15 is better than the S1 and i consider the G10 to be a more suitable replacement for your PZ77U than the S1. Your PZ77 has Analog Audio Output jacks and a VGA input, but the S1 does NOT have these features so just for these two reasons alone i don't consider the S1 to be a suitable replacement for a PZ77. The G10/G15 however does have these two features so if the warranty company tries to replace the TV with an S1 or an even lesser model (instead of giving you a refund), tell them you need the replacement TV to have Analog Audio Output and the VGA PC input like your old TV does and insist on a G10 or G15 (even if you don't really need these features). You'll end up with a better performing TV

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the whole anti-glare fiasco on the 77. Some hated it while others liked it. I had no issues with it myself.

I was one that didn't like it compared to the regular screen (probably the first one here who complained about it), but it was still better than any LCD at that time and i did recommend the 77 models to a few friends who had abnormally bright rooms and it worked out very well for them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/16946966

The G15 is a teensy step up from the G10 but only in asthetics - it's the exact same TV except for the thinner upper rear cover and small silver strip below the screen. Aside from this, they are the same exact TV.

The G10/G15 is better than the S1 and i consider the G10 to be a more suitable replacement for your PZ77U than the S1. Your PZ77 has Analog Audio Output jacks and a VGA input, but the S1 does NOT have these features so just for these two reasons alone i don't consider the S1 to be a suitable replacement for a PZ77. The G10/G15 however does have these two features so if the warranty company tries to replace the TV with an S1 or an even lesser model (instead of giving you a refund), tell them you need the replacement TV to have Analog Audio Output and the VGA PC input like your old TV does and insist on a G10 or G15 (even if you don't really need these features). You'll end up with a better performing TV

Excellent advice, thank you. I completely forgot that mine had a VGA input. I guess I need that input.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to thank you Randy for your advice; it came in really handy.

The store, as predicted, wanted to replace it with a much lower-end plasma that wasn't even a Panasonic. I insisted on feature-for-feature, which I had in writing from their agreement, namely for VGA in, audio out and an SD slot
. Finally they relented and agreed to a direct swap for a new 50G15.

Of course I was curious about LCD too, and the salesperson gave me a hot deal on a Samsung 52B750 LCD. I had it in my house for five days, played around with every setting possible but could not get it to look as good as my plasma, even though I think it's the best LCD I've ever seen. So I went back and replaced it for the 50G15 which I just got yesterday and I'm in love with this TV.

I notice there's a lot more reflection on the G15's screen compared to my old PZ77 but it's not too bad as I have full lighting control in the room.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 /forum/post/17046159

I just wanted to thank you Randy for your advice; it came in really handy.

The store, as predicted, wanted to replace it with a much lower-end plasma that wasn't even a Panasonic. I insisted on feature-for-feature, which I had in writing from their agreement, namely for VGA in, audio out and an SD slot
. Finally they relented and agreed to a direct swap for a new 50G15.....

Wow that's great to hear! And i'm glad you were able to get a much better TV from them.

Soooo, how to you like the G15's picture compared to the old PZ77U?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts