AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to making the move to purchase a plasma. I saw in Friday's paper an ad for the Panasonic PT42PD2P 42" Plasma through a reputable local retailer. This appears to be an older model and I have not been able to find much info on it in this forum. Does anyone know if this is a good unit and if it is old is it worth paying extra for the newer models? The little info I could find indicated it would only go as high as 480p. I will be using this with an HD box. Lastly, if this is a quality unit, is $3,400 a good price (hope this isn't breaking the rules)?

Thanks for your help.

Kris

·
Registered
794 Posts
Kris,

1) I would not buy it becasue you can get a newer Panny model for ~ same price (online).

2) HDTV looks excellent on ED (480p) Panny (via HD STB box). From my viewing distance of 12 feet I cannot tell any difference between ED and HD Panny watching SD, DVD or HD material.

Andrzej

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you are sensitive to CRT "flicker" you may want to consider this older model. Do a search for a recent thread named "Panny Flicker" particularly Rich harkness' comments.

jack

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Usually, the warranty is not honored on units not sold within the current model year. If you get the older unit, confirm the warranty policy in writing from the dealer. Don't let them quote manufacturers warranty terms alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.