AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have connected my tb over a vga connection to my pc. i can get a good picture at 720x480p, but i cant seem to get 1080i working. first of all i know its interlaced and the timings are confusing. i know i need 1920x1080 right? i need to set that up as an interlaced mode? what are the correct timings for HD1080i on a CRT? i have an nvidia geforce card with just vga so dvi is not an option. can anyone help? thanks.

·
Registered
932 Posts
You will find an advance timing section in the nvidia control panel.

I would suggest upgrading to the latest video card drivers.

If you still have no luck getting a picture, download powerstrip and find out what exact timings your Tv supports via VGA.

Itmay only handle 720x480p

Most 1080p lcd tvs only handle 1366x720 over vga.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nvidia advanced custom timings are disabled in Vista drivers above v94.something - the tradeoff is that that driver's 3d performance is not very good (under XP's). You haven't said if you use XP or Vista.

Depending on your HDTV, your native resolution might be 1366x720p, actually - this would give you a pixel perfect image. If you force it in a higher res, like 1920x1080, you might get something good for video, but not for regular PC usage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using windows xp pro. maybe i am thinking backwards but many components output 1080i. i have connected a few to this tv, admittadlly only over comonent and never vga. i just though that is i set the output to whatever hd1080i standard is the tv should theoretically work with it.

oh and i do have the latest nvidia driver, it does not have so many advanced timing option, but i also tryed power strip and i could change timing but i could not get a 1080i mode to work

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update, i did find the advance timing in the nvidia driver. i found a spec sheet for the tv and it says it has a max horizontal resolution of 800 lines??? i tried so many i cant remember but i did get a 1080i mode to almost work. i had a image on screen but it was scrolling. i dont know if that is a good sign or not?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
[email protected] equals 1080i. If you didn't set the 30hz part you weren't sending 1080i. 60hz as is default would actually be 1080p and probably is not supported on that input.

What make and model is the display? Is it actually an EDTV not an HDTV? Only 800 horizontal lines makes me think 800x600 EDTV. Whatever the case may be you want to run the native resolution for the best PQ which is more likely 1366x768, 1280x720, or less.

Troy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i tried something like 1920x1080 or 800x1080 at 30hz interlaced, cant remember which one worked and which did not. every other mode exept 640x480 and 848x480 just give a blank screen and the tv displays "out of range"

the tv is the samsung model from a few years ago that was the same as the HDTV model just disabled in the service menu. i re-enabled 1080i and the vga input, soldered a vga connection to the through holes on the board. i have tested the 1080i mode on a satalite receiver and it works fine. just cant seem to find the right timings for vga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts