Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I 'm going to attempt to make a simple website. I want to take some pics of my equipment to load on the site, but I'm pretty new at the digital picture thing.

I have a Sony 2.1 mpxl dig camera. What is the best rez to use for websites? What is the best way to take screenshots?

Also, does anyone have a good suggestion for a site hosting?

If it helps, I'm on good ol' dial up connection, so I need to be able to load up the pics in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
366 Posts
I always take the pictures at the max resolution. After I save them, I use photoshop to resize them. Then I compress them, if they are going onto the net.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use 1600x1200 with a 2.1M camera. I upload it at full resolution to PhotoPoint. They will do the scaling when others look at the pictures. That way other can click the pictures and see them at full resolution. I wish all would do that. It is sometimes very hard to see the details when looking at other's pictures.

You pay 10 USD/year for 1GB or 1000 pictures on PhotoPoint. If you have a slow internet connection, it can be a problem uploading 300-400KB pictures but I see it as a backup of my pictures.

Kind regards, Claus

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I decided a while ago that I would buy a 1.3mp camera to document our house being built. Of course I also used it for the theater. I tried uploading full res (1280x960) images on my dial-up, but quickly decided that was not the way to go. I do take them full size, as the other guys have mentioned, and re-size them in Photoshop. I had been doing them at 640x480 and that was working out fine. Well, my free site on Geocities became used so much that I had to purchase a domain from them and have them host my site (could have used somebody else, but this was easier since my data didn't need to be moved). I am paying $10 per month for my service, get 25 megs of space, 10k megs of data transfer per month and like I said, my own domain.

I recently have gone through at work and re-sized all my images to 400x300 (a little small) to save space since I don't want to have to pay more for more space. I now have to go back and re-size the images with Photoshop, since it does a much better job than the program I used (cheap thing).

Figure out how much you plan on documenting and decide on what you want to do. With my paid service, I don't get any of the pop-up ads like the Photo-point sites have. If you don't have as much stuff as I do on your site, you can get away with larger images.

As far as screen shots, pause a DVD, get your tripod out and set the timer on the camera. It will come out dark because you cannot use the flash, but if you have Photoshop (again, it is superior to others) you can adjust the brightness without adversly effecting the image quality too bad. Chris Crim has a good explanation as to how he got some decent screen shots that allow you to see the rest of the room too. Here is a link to his site:
Chris Crim's theater page

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.