AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first, post, so please be gentle. I've searched the forums for an answer for my question and did not quite find what I needed, so here it goes.

I'm moving into a house that is pre-wired for

a.) 5.1 audio in the living room
b.) 7.2 audio in the media room
c.) whole house audio

I'll not even bother with a.) since I will not have a TV or audio in the living room

I think I have picked my gear for b.) I intend to go with the ONKYO HTS-7700 package with is a 5.1 ATMOS receiver and speakers. As such the media room will not be 7.2, but only 5.1.
The receiver it comes with is a HT-R693, which seems to me very similar to the TR-NR636.

I'd like to use the extra 2 channels on the receiver to stream Pandora to the whole house audio system. Based on what I have learned on this forum, I will need an amp between the ONKYO receiver and the whole house audio.

Here's the info on the whole house audio setup:
- 5 pairs of speakers inside the house in different rooms. Speakers are Infinity, ceiling mounted. As far as I can tell 60W, 8 Ohm

- 2 pairs of speakers on the outside on two different decks. No idea on the speakers

- Each pair of speakers is controlled by a Russound ALTx 126 Watt volume control

- Based on what I can can tell (see attached picture) all 2x7 speakers terminate at one panel in the equipment room. This makes me think they are connected serially.

So here's the actual question about the physics ans the amp: What type of amp (model, examples, specs, whatever you can give me) do I need to drive the 14 speakers in a stereo mode? I'll likely not have all 7 rooms turned up at the same time, but want to make sure that I have the right power so nothing fries.

I hope I have provided enough detail - If not, please let me know.
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ingo

Attachments

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This is my first, post, so please be gentle. I've searched the forums for an answer for my question and did not quite find what I needed, so here it goes.

I'm moving into a house that is pre-wired for

a.) 5.1 audio in the living room
b.) 7.2 audio in the media room
c.) whole house audio

I'll not even bother with a.) since I will not have a TV or audio in the living room

I think I have picked my gear for b.) I intend to go with the ONKYO HTS-7700 package with is a 5.1 ATMOS receiver and speakers. As such the media room will not be 7.2, but only 5.1.
The receiver it comes with is a HT-R693, which seems to me very similar to the TR-NR636.

I'd like to use the extra 2 channels on the receiver to stream Pandora to the whole house audio system. Based on what I have learned on this forum, I will need an amp between the ONKYO receiver and the whole house audio.

Here's the info on the whole house audio setup:
- 5 pairs of speakers inside the house in different rooms. Speakers are Infinity, ceiling mounted. As far as I can tell 60W, 8 Ohm

- 2 pairs of speakers on the outside on two different decks. No idea on the speakers

- Each pair of speakers is controlled by a Russound ALTx 126 Watt volume control

- Based on what I can can tell (see attached picture) all 2x7 speakers terminate at one panel in the equipment room. This makes me think they are connected serially.

So here's the actual question about the physics ans the amp: What type of amp (model, examples, specs, whatever you can give me) do I need to drive the 14 speakers in a stereo mode? I'll likely not have all 7 rooms turned up at the same time, but want to make sure that I have the right power so nothing fries.

I hope I have provided enough detail - If not, please let me know.
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ingo
You want to use the leftover channels from Zone 1 for the rest of the house? What will you do when someone changes the level in the Min zone and others are using the leftover channels? Use Zone 2 if you have it, or a separate amp of some kind- it will save you from a lot of frustration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough.
Regardless, even if I get a completely separate receiver/amp for the whole house purpose, what would the specs have to be?

I.e. a stereo amp driving XX Watt @ YY Ohm?!

That's the type of information I'm looking for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts