AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a new progressive scan DVD player to complement my new HD-ready 50" tv.

Two particular features I've read about that I think I want are:

Faroudja processing

"4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift" let you watch DVD movie discs in their original aspect ratio on a 16:9 wide screen

This last feature sounds really desirable for 16:9 televisions (am i correct about this?? Would love a more detailed explanation of this to make sure it's what I think it is.

Anyway, can anyone give me a list of DVD players that offer these? (I've found the RP91 by Panasonic, but it's just a little more money that I might like to spend).

Thanks!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't think the RP91 has a Faroudja chip. I think it has the old Genesis chip, which isn't very good.

As far as I know, there are no players that have Faroudja, 4:3 shrink, and letterbox zoom all in one unit. If someone knows of one, please correct me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ProofTech
I don't think the RP91 has a Faroudja chip. I think it has the old Genesis chip, which isn't very good.

As far as I know, there are no players that have Faroudja, 4:3 shrink, and letterbox zoom all in one unit. If someone knows of one, please correct me.
I believe that you are correct. I do not know of any that have both of these.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What dvd player do you have right now? The reason I ask is because there a couple of reasonably economical alternatives using external video processors. You could get a DVDO Iscan Ultra for about $800, which has the letterbox zoom and has deinterlacing on par with Faroudja (but not actually Faroudja). The other option is to get a Holo3D card with a PC. The original version 1 cards can probably be had for less than $500 and you will get letterbox zooming, Faroudja processing, and a whole plethora of other features as well.

By the way, are you sure that your TV can not already zoom non-anamorphic letterbox movies? Some TV's have this feature, some don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.