AVS Forum banner

Which projector for 13x16 room with 12' viewing distance and 110" 16:10 screen?

• Sony VPLHW55ES

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • JVC DLAX35B

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Epson 5030UB

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • BenQ SH940

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a smaller theater room that I am building. I am looking at a ~110 16:10 screen with a `12-13' viewing distance. Lighting controlled.

I am looking at the:

Sony VPLHW55ES

JVC DLAX35B

Epson 5030UB

BenQ SH940

Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
JVC or Sony, and why in the world are you talking about a 16:10 screen. That makes zero sense in home theater. All your content is 16:9 and all home theater projectors of any quality are 16:9.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1521104/help-with-picking-a-projector-sony-epson-jvc-benq-panasonic#post_24444957

JVC or Sony, and why in the world are you talking about a 16:10 screen. That makes zero sense in home theater. All your content is 16:9 and all home theater projectors of any quality are 16:9.

Nature of my job.... I design commercial av systems that are typically 16:10 -4:3 only. I need to read more on residential screens aspect ratios. I'm still a bit behind on knowing the correct aspect ratio to choose.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman  /t/1521104/help-with-picking-a-projector-sony-epson-jvc-benq-panasonic#post_24445264

Nature of my job.... I design commercial av systems

And your asking what projector to buy?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am. Commercial and Resi are a very different ballgame. I almost never have controlled ambient light, usually long throws, very large screens, wide variety of input resolutions.

I am asking for opinions...from people who own them or have seen them. Sure I can calculate each projector, and based solely on specs, find the "best", but I prefer actual experience with the units since I don't have any experience with home cinema projectors.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
LCoS - JVC and Sony are where its at with home theater in a good space. Unless you are dead set on 2.35 aspect ratio, go with 16:9. All home theater projectors and all flat panel displays are 16:9 aspect ratio, so that's just the way to go as ALL HDTV is 16:9 aspect ratio. Many (but not all) movies are 2.35 aspect ratio, but since the projector will be 16:9 aspect ratio, then that's really what you should be working with.

For home theater projectors, using a 16:10 screen is not even an option. There is zero 16:10 content outside of the stupid computer manufacturers who still think DisplayPort matters. The only reason DisplayPort exists is so that people will then have to buy DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. 16:10 matches up with a total of ZERO flat panel displays out there. Certainly plenty of 16:10 projectors (1280x800 and 1920x1200), but no large format flat panels.

I would personally get the RS46/X35 or Sony and plan on having an excellent room, and be very happy. The contrast levels in a good room with very good color accuracy really is much different than what business class projectors can typically deliver. A few Digital Projection models are pretty nice though.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1521104/help-with-picking-a-projector-sony-epson-jvc-benq-panasonic#post_24449769

LCoS - JVC and Sony are where its at with home theater in a good space. Unless you are dead set on 2.35 aspect ratio, go with 16:9. All home theater projectors and all flat panel displays are 16:9 aspect ratio, so that's just the way to go as ALL HDTV is 16:9 aspect ratio. Many (but not all) movies are 2.35 aspect ratio, but since the projector will be 16:9 aspect ratio, then that's really what you should be working with.

For home theater projectors, using a 16:10 screen is not even an option. There is zero 16:10 content outside of the stupid computer manufacturers who still think DisplayPort matters. The only reason DisplayPort exists is so that people will then have to buy DisplayPort to HDMI adapters. 16:10 matches up with a total of ZERO flat panel displays out there. Certainly plenty of 16:10 projectors (1280x800 and 1920x1200), but no large format flat panels.

I would personally get the RS46/X35 or Sony and plan on having an excellent room, and be very happy. The contrast levels in a good room with very good color accuracy really is much different than what business class projectors can typically deliver. A few Digital Projection models are pretty nice though.

thank you thank you thank you for the well thought out response. That information is extremely helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.I come from the commercial side were all we do is display computer resolutions and 16 by 10 is the go to screen ratio.thanks again

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do a little bit. What projector are you running?

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I just bought the ae8000u.

Give up a tidbet of picture quality for lower input lag. Can easily game on a panasonic, not so much on JVC. I plan on a 2.35:1 screen too and the automatic lense switching function on the 8000 is a really novel function.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts