AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, good looking site, this is my first post, and guess what its a question

I'm piecing together a home theater system, but I'm going to have to do it over time. I currently have a Panasonic theater in a box system that I am replacing. I'm looking at a DVD upconverter (for now) and a Sony STR-DG510 receiver.

When I add up the price for those two, I don't have much left in my current budget for speakers. So here is my plan, but will it work?

I'm thinking that I will buy speakers all of one brand, that seems to be a general consensis, but I'm going to have to do it over an extended period of time if possible. I'm thinking I'll start with a decent sub to make the gunfire and explosions sound like they should.

That also leaves me with a problem....mabey, and finnally the actuall question
The output on the reciever I'm looking at is 100w per channel and the speakers from my older system that I will be using till I can afford to replace them are only 60w. Will that work or will I destroy the speakers as soon as I power up the reciever?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
No you will not destroy your speakers, even at loud volumes you won't be putting out 100Wpc for HT receivers that are rated at 100 wats only put out 25-50 watts a channel.

And there is an Insignia speaker package at best buy that is only $159.00 and sounds more detailed than those phillips HTIB speakers. I own these speakers and they are quite a bang for the buck, and include a fully featured powered sub

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it says it is a 500w system, and that it sends 100w per channel. Is that not true? Even though it says that is still only sends 25-50w per channel?

And it is a Panasonic HTIB. The sound is....ok, but the bass is rather lack luster. That is why I'm going with the Sub to begin with. I don't really want another cheap system, and would rather spend the $150 on a single speaker. It will just take a few months to get there.

Thanks for the reply though ;D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/16956910

If you want a really nice system, skip HTIBs and low end Sony receivers.

Agree. Run from Sony AVRs as they put out nowhere near their stated power numbers. Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Harmon/Kardon are much better (H/K are real numbers all channels driven)

I would get out and listen to some speakers. Set a budget and listen to speakers you can afford. If you listen to things out of your range you will not be happy with what you can afford. Go with the fronts first and pick up the center and rears later. Get an awesome sub as it can make a world of difference with movies and music (MFW15 from av123 is a great sub)

This can be a 1-2 year process if need be. As long as you match the front 3 you will be good unless you listen to a ton of 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/16957589

Agree. Run from Sony AVRs as they put out nowhere near their stated power numbers. .

Why is that such a big deal? The amplifier will not put out its maximum wattage at all time, it will burn up if it did, and most of that power would be wasted, especially if you have a powered sub.

Sony AVR's, amonst many others, even some higher end ones put out around 50-32.5 WPC and with reasonably efficient speakers. (No odd designs) that will be plenty to drive them.

·
The Village Idiot
9,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFist /forum/post/16963831

So, I hope I'm not sounding redundant, but will mid to fairly high level sound through a reciever with a higher watt output damage a speaker meant for lower wattage?

First off you'd have to be able to stand the high sound levels - you have 60 watt speakers? Putting 60 watts into it would be deafening. Power to a speaker is not a constant - its a variable - and most of the time even during high SPL levels they are getting maybe 10-15 watts.

A speaker with an efficiency rating of 90db - rather typical as speakers go - puts out 90db of sound with 1 watt as measured from 1 meter away. 90db is quite loud.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts