AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello, I'm new to the this site and was wondering if anyone could help me with my Pioneer Elite SC-61 set up.

I've used the MCACC set up and am having difficulties when watching movies whether blu-ray or cable.

The problem I'm having is I have to turn up my volume to almost -28 to hear the actors voices in the movie. But when a music scene or action scene comes on; it is to loud. Extremely LOUD. So, I don't know how fix the problem. I've tried messing around with the options settings in the "Auto Playback" ex: Pro Logic IIx movie, wide surround movie and then also messing with the "Advanced surround effects".

But still come out with the same result. I just bought the receiver in March 2013 and wife is starting to get mad at me because of how loud it has to be to watch movies and TV shows.

Any help with good calibrations to certain setting to change or anything at all for that fact would be very helpful.

Below is what I have and hope this helps

AV Receiver   -  Pioneer Elite SC-61

Speakers       - Definitive Technology (DT) Pro Cinema 600.6 Home Theatre System (w/ 2 (DT) ProMonitor 800 speakers as my Front Left and Right speakers)

TV                 - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Cable             - Dish Network

BluRay           - Panasonic Smart Network 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player

Listening Distance from TV 13 Ft

Thank you

Lucky

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
First, a volume of -28 is NOT unusual. The volume setting is determined by your speaker's efficiency in meeting a target level set in MCACC. For example, my typical volume level is -10 to -3 for movies. My speakers are Magnepans which are very inefficient and take more power and more voltage to achieve the same volume as say a very efficient speaker such as DefTech or Klipsch designs. So your speakers are pretty efficient and easy to drive. To be honest, in all the years I've posted about Pioneer receivers, I can't recall anyone who has normal volumes of -50 or less. It just doesn't seem to happen. So -28 is definitely not something to be concerned about, pretty much typical. it's the channel preamp levels that controls the basic overall levels and this is done in MCACC as Channel Level.

And differences between dialog and music is most likely not your calibration, providing you placed the mic correctly

1. at main listening position, aimed directly to the ceiling, not tilted forward or back.

2. resting NOT in the seat itself but near where your ears/head would be, a seat back is OK, but using a tripod sitting on the seat is better and a mic boom stand is best. don't place the mic in the seat where the sound from sides and rears can be blocked

3. a clear line of sight to each speaker, nothing that would block the sound. having the mic lower than the seat back will mean some of the sound from speakers will be reflected off the back to the mic and make the receiver think the volume is lower than it really is so it will cut the level

if measuring was done OK, then you could manually give the center channel a boost in the Manual MCACC speaker settings. go to menu and select Manual Speaker setup, channel levels, etc.

OR you can go into the Audio Parameters and adjust the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) setting. By default it's turned off and that is the best from an "audiophile" standpoint. however, we all know commercials etc can be louder so the option exists to compress the sound so that soft and loud sounds are closer together.

FYI - so called Advanced Surround is just an artificial reverb effect and unless you enjoy the effect, best not to use pick all they do is impact and probably degrade the cohesiveness of the soundfield by creating an artificial echo effect of varying amounts. and adjusting the center width in PLIIx Music possibly could help but what that does is adjust how much center channel is coming directly from the center speaker vs how much is spread to the front L/R. I don't think that will do much for your difference unless there's a big discrepency in how your front L/R and center levels were calibrated - see mic positioning above

Picking one of the other surround modes or processing will not substantially help either.

and b4 I forget, Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you, I've been tweaking this receiver for a while now with your suggestions and redid the MCACC several times. Tried upping the center channel level and everything. Turn up the volume to -24 to hear the voice dialog perfect and then an action scene comes on and blows out our ears. Do I have a defective receiver? I'm pretty sure I've tried everything with no success. With a $1,000 receiver one would think that this problem wouldn't exist. Now the wife and I are trying to figure out if the receiver is 3D capable with our recent upgrade to the P65TZ60.

BTW: we have Carbon HDMI cables for the BD and Pearl Cables for the Dish receiver. So, that was another we did to try and resolve this problem. That's about $400 in just HDMI cables alone.

Any suggestions?

Lucky

·
Registered
10,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyzl230  /t/1507045/help-with-pioneer-elite-sc-61-best-configuration/0_100#post_24155835

Turn up the volume to -24 to hear the voice dialog perfect and then an action scene comes on and blows out our ears. Do I have a defective receiver?...Now the wife and I are trying to figure out if the receiver is 3D capable with our recent upgrade to the P65TZ60.

that's what dynamic range is all about - the difference between soft volume and loud volume sounds. you may be surprised to know that plain old CD's have a possible dynamic range approaching 90+ dB but rarely does modern compressed-to-the-hilt music come anywhere close to that. most pop/rock is probably 10 dB at best between soft and loud sounds. classical orchestral music with soft passages then bombastic crescendos can take advantage of the dynamic range but even then, record labels want compression so that CD's sound good in cars with road noise. and cable/sat will also have compression applied using Dolby Digital to reduce the signal bandwidth needed; Dolby Digital used in cable/sat is compressed, lossy (meaning data is discarded) vs DTS-MA, TrueHD which are full dynamic range & lossless even with compression.

that's why when you really experience true dynamic range, it's kind of surprising. you can try the Dynamic Range Compression DRC audio setting in the receiver to reduce the spread between loud and soft. other than that, you are no doubt experiencing what is recorded on the disc and the director's intent, just like in the movies.

no, your receiver is not defective, I'd be nearly 100% sure of that.

and yes, it is 3D capable, 3D pass-thru from the Blu-ray player thru the receiver to the TV.

I don't know what more to tell you. you can bump up the center a bit more, but keep in mind, you are only talking about several dB's changes while the dynamic range on a Blu-ray disc can be higher than even a CD, up to 110+ dB, if the studio and recording engineers want to make use of it. Blu-ray hi-rez audio (DTS-Master & Dolby TrueHD) is 24 bit vs 16 bit for CD's so their theoretical dynamic range is even greater.

adjusting the DRC setting in the receiver will probably help if you set it to its highest setting. It'll be in the Audio Parameters menu. you can also experiment with the Dialog Enhancement setting which by default is turned off.

I don't know if the SC-61 has this THX feature, but if it has THX Loudness Plus, make sure it's turned on. I don't own the 61 but have the 68 which is THX Ultra 2 Plus certified and the 68 has Loudness Plus. Check your manual and menus - in the setup menu, THX audio settings.

upgrading cables isn't a bad idea but won't help what you describe, sorry. as long as the digital signal gets passed thru an HDMI cable intact without degradation, the cable is fine. you would notice if your cable wasn't suitable for the length of cable needed by seeing moving dots or sparkles on the screen or problems making the encryption handshake. as long as you have clean video, the cable is fine. and changing them won't do anything on the audio side. higher quality cables get you the ability to run greater lengths before signals dropout and higher data capacity for things such as Deep Color (not currently in use), full 1080p 3D and upcoming 4K.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for your help,

I really appreciate it.

I'm not sure if the SC-61 has THX. I remember the guy from bestbuy telling me something about THX or DTS I'm not sure what it was, but something about George Lucus creating THX or DTS and that a lot of movies that has it is because of him or something along the lines of that, I'm not sure anymore as that was almost a year ago now.

I'll see if I can mess with the DRC and see if it has those other settings you mentioned.

We just got done watching Insidious 2 last night and omg was my wife mad afterwards. She feels that over the months that the sound in the dialog has gone down. I had it at -21 and when scary scenes came on it was like it was on -5. Which in part made me laugh cause she jumped even higher when she got scared.
But that aside she said to me that I need to fix it or take it back.

Well, I know we can't take it back and pay $$$ for the next model up but I will definitely try your suggestions.

Thanks for explaining it to me the way you did as I own a recording studio so your terms I can follow and understand.

BTW: another person on a different forum said I should get the receiver proffessionally calibrated. I thought that was only for TVs like my P65ZT60.

Whats your thought on it?

PS: what do you have your settings on for your receiver?

Lucky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

BTW: another person on a different forum said I should get the receiver proffessionally calibrated. I thought that was only for TVs like my P65ZT60.

Whats your thought on it?

Lucky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That's what I did, the MCACC had it at +3 so I took it to +5 then when that didn't work I took the L/R front and took them down to +0 from +3.

LOL, I'm trying to make this work

What do you have your sound setting on? "Auto Surround" "Pure Direct" etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Ok, its seems after hours of readjusting I've found that ALC is the best configuration for dialog and action scenes to be perfect and not blow out our ears.

Now my question is, am I getting the most out of my receiver when comes to true surround sound using this setting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1507045/help-with-pioneer-elite-sc-61-best-configuration#post_24159577

Do what I did. Raise the center channel level manually.
I tried this and it did raise the dialog but when action scenes came on it still blew out our ears.

I tried lowering the L/R front speaks along with upping the center channel. But got the same effect.

The setting I'm looking for is a good sound level for dialog (to where we can hear the voices of the actors [even during whisper scenes which was a big problem]) and when action scenes come on were not blowing our ears out. It was to the point that our windows were rattling when action scenes came on.

Lucky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts