AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Hoping I can get some education and advice here.

Looking at upgrading to front projection from a 61" Sammy DLP rear projector that has served faithfully but upgrade-itis has fully set in.

Room is 13' 2" front to back and sofa is along the back wall and I would wall mount the screen on the front wall (obviously). This makes the viewing distance about 12' from eyes to screen. I was hoping to be able to do a 110-120" screen and I thought that the 12' viewing distance would be comfortable. I've been contemplating one of the new Sony 4K PJ's (600ES).

So I began playing around with the calculator on projectorcentral using the VPL-VW1000ES profile as a surrogate for the 600ES and when I plug in a throw distance of approximately 11' (accounting for the 25" depth of the 1000ES itself off the backwall) the resulting screen size of 87" diagonal (at 2.39) was disappointing to see.

Am I misunderstanding how to use the calculator and the geometry of a front projector? Is and 11' throw distance too short to achieve a 110-120" screen size?

I looked for a way to enter 11' throw and 120" diagonal and 2.39:1 into the calculator to see if it would "reverse-calculate" a listing of projectors that could optimally achieve the screen size I'm looking for from the distance I have available, but apparently you have to have a particular PJ in mind to use the calculator.

So its probably obvious that I am new to front projectors and would welcome any advice you might be willing to share.

Thanks,

gdfein

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
what is on other side of back wall?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A bedroom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts