AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System: windows 7 64bit. onkyo 606 receiver. using wmpc for video, and ffdshow for hd audio (dts-hd,true-hd). Mkv ripped with dvd fab. Media browser front end.

Previously i was using power dvd and iso, but cant stand power dvd (personal thing) and converted to mkv. now when i play my movies i get pops in the audio. but i never got the pops with powerdvd and the iso's..?????

i went thru my wires, checked all the speakers, plugged and unplugged everything. all seems fine. when i use xbmc or wmp it plays at standard dts or dd and i get no pops, just clean audio. but when i use wpmc and ffdshow and loss less i get the pops...

any help or advice...

thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have an onkyo 607. I too would get pops (when bitstreaming HD audio), or as I would describe it, audio cutting out for a split second at a time. This would happen at a relatively frequent interval.

I never determined if the receiver was the problem or what. I just ended up ripping the hd audio to flac instead. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/19641140

I have an onkyo 607. I too would get pops (when bitstreaming HD audio), or as I would describe it, audio cutting out for a split second at a time. This would happen at a relatively frequent interval.

I never determined if the receiver was the problem or what. I just ended up ripping the hd audio to flac instead. Problem solved.

nope not it....

i tried everything in ffdshow options also.....lost

·
Registered
563 Posts
so you tried ripping hd audio to flac using hd dvd blu ray stream extractor (or something similar) and then merging everything into a mkv (I use mkvmerge)? And still no go?

Not sure then, that solved the issue for me. I don't suppose you have another receiver you can try?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/19642328

so you tried ripping hd audio to flac using hd dvd blu ray stream extractor (or something similar) and then merging everything into a mkv (I use mkvmerge)? And still no go?

Not sure then, that solved the issue for me. I don't suppose you have another receiver you can try?

not sure i follow. i ripped my blu rays to iso files, but decided to go with wmpc and ffdshow instead of power dvd and iso's. so i converted my iso's to mkv with dvdfab. when i used power dvd i had no popping, but now i do with wmpc and ffdshow... and it sucks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I ripped my blu rays to mkv, and instead of bitstreaming, I ripped the HD audio to flac. If you already have all your stuff ripped, you probably don't want to do anymore. Though it may be worth trying one movie to see if it solves your problem.

Have you tried using mpc-hc? I'd give it a go, if it works with no popping, you can call it as an external player in the Media Browser configurator.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Take a look at Guide 2 in the very first post. This will get your blu ray extracted (demuxed):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033822

Also, for starters try a movie that has Dolby True HD (vs. DTS Master Audio). If you do do DTS Master Audio, pay attention to Exception 1 in Guide 1.

Just select Flac as the output option the dolby true hd track. select mkv for the video track, and txt for the chapter track.

Then take a look at Guide 4 to mux all your files into an mkv.

Seems a bit overwhelming at first, but is actually quite simple once you do it a time or 2.

Since you are running 64bit, not sure the best way to get flac playing through wmc (for 32 bit, you can use madflac). hopefully someone else will chime in.

Honestly, I'd try mpc-hc before you do anything and see if that works.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will give that a try.....

seems more difficult, right now i click one tab, and select track....40min done. with dvdfab. but wll try anything to get rid of those pops, and cracks..

thanks for the time

will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well did more playing around. found out that this only happens with dts-hd tracks, no popping or ticks with true hd..

possibly the way the were ripped with dvd-fab...??? not sure. anyone have a dts-hd track/clip file i can download to try ..???

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well its dvdfab or something i did in it..????

i ran an iso thru makemkv, it took about a 3rd of the time, and sounds perfect...

now i am screwed with about 20 crappy sounding mkv's. oh well. start from the beginning with those...

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm not familiar enough with dvd fab to answer. makemkv is pretty good. I'd use it, except it doesn't do the flac.

At least you've got it figured out - and it could be a lot worse than 20.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
What graphics card do you have, and other hardware? Also, google for DPC latency checker and use it while playing a movie. If you see red bars it's DPC latencies which are causing the pops. It's not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/19649483

I'm not familiar enough with dvd fab to answer. makemkv is pretty good. I'd use it, except it doesn't do the flac.

At least you've got it figured out - and it could be a lot worse than 20.

re-doing with make-mkv, very user friendly. pretty simple. and awesome results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.