AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the flap panel tech forum and most of the responses seemed to say Plasma would suit my needs better so here I am asking for more advice/suggestions.

Currently running Sharp lc-46d64u set. I want to move up the next size level so 54-60" would probably be a good size. My vieiwing habit consists of TV (dish network 722) mostly HD with some SD material, dvd and blu-ray (sony bdp-cx960), and of course gaming on my xbox 360. So TV, Blu-ray/DVD and Gaming are things I want the TV to handle well. I know some models/brands handle gaming better than others but not sure which ones.

I currently see a lot of deals for the Panasonic 58" s2 set around the thousand dollar mark. Now is this set that great of a deal or for my needs should I look at a different set/price range. I don't care about 3d or internet rather get a set that works well for my needs and has very good PQ.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
.. seems some owners' are seeing much graininess in the S2 models; would opt for the Panasonic tcp54g25 (or 20), may be in similar price area; also, v. good in gaming area. Also, the Samsung models pn58c550 (or c590) or pn58c6500 are good in those areas also.

add: Panasonic is only one that makes the 54" size; they do (also) have 58" of course.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/19557010

.. seems some owners' are seeing much graininess in the S2 models; would opt for the Panasonic tcp54g25 (or 20), may be in similar price area; also, v. good in gaming area. Also, the Samsung models pn58c550 (or c590) or pn58c6500 are good in those areas also.

add: Panasonic is only one that makes the 54" size; they do (also) have 58" of course.

Thanks for the response, I like graininess when it's supposed to be there but not added by either the source or display. What about LG models for pq and gaming?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links. From what I read just like LCD/LED models each plasma has it's strengths and flaws. The one thing I really find lacking in my current LCD set is it's off center viewing. I know the Sharp set was found to be a bit worse than other brands in that department but lcd/led still fall behind Plasma which looks pretty much the same at any angle.

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/19557010

A properly adjusted S2 is not overly grainy. Get the set out of Dynamic mode, and turn the sharpness down. Still some very good deals out there on the 58S2 (

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The samsung pn58c500 is right about the same price range as the Panasonic 58s2, both are probably decent displays, seems like the Samsung uses less power, is a bit smaller footprint but may not be as good in game mode.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I got the pn58c500. Haven't done a lot with it but noticed last night with a lamp on there were reflections of it and today the far window is reflecting some even though it's not super bright.

My questions is this set too reflective for my room/viewing conditions and is there a better set be it plasma or lcd for my needs?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I am probably going to take the pn58c500 back due to a few reasons -

1) Once in awhile i see white dots (like snow) all over the screen and the screen keeps losing signal. Since a power off and on of the display fixes this and I never saw it on my old Sharp lcd I attribute this to the new unit.

2) From my research this unit is not the same as the 550 screen and is lacking some anti glare and response time. (Research is checking things out with the set and also calling Samsung/checking their site). The main things I found are the set doesn't boast of the same antiglare filter/coating and also no mention of response time.

3) This set is high in reflections/glare to me if there is any light source (both natural and lamps on low) even when on a source and broadcasting. This seems to be a plasma trait from checking out other Plasma sets at the store but I hear some models do better on handling it when displaying than others. My old Sharp being matte did good with reflections/lighting but I know I lost some pop/pq. Now our household does watch in darkend conditions at times but not always and don't want to be distracted by seeing a lamp or ceiling light (even on dim setting) clearly.

So my questions now are -

Are all Plasmas going to handle light/reflections like this set?

Would going to the samsung pn58c6500/7000/8000 help?

Would switching over the Panasonic p54g25 be better?

Pleas help because I'm still looking for a 54-60" display that has good PQ, 3 HDMI ports or more, games well, good off center viewing and can handle reflections ok.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts