AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a good deal , or though I thought, on a Velodyne HGS10 selp powered sub. Well I got the sub, through an authorized dealer, and hooked it up. With the gain up to approximately 1/4 I played a dvd. When the bass got heavy the sub started to make clicking sounds, though something may be hitting metal. I now found out that this may be a demo. All input is needed. This place was a an authorized dealer and is no more. Do I just return it if it is not working right, or get ahould of Velodyne. I got a really good price and would judt like the sub to work right. Thanks Jon

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
Dealer first..........always.

Have your receipt and box ready.

JEff

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Jon,

First, remember that all the "volume" knob does is amplify or attenuate the input signal. Even with the knob set at 1/10th of full level it is possible to overdrive the sub if a high enough input signal is provided. The sound you are describing is what the Velodyne HGS subs sound like when their internal limiters kick in. The sub is almost "indestructable" in the sense of overpowering due to the limiters within the amplifier, yet the resulting sound is quite disconcerting once the limiter kicks in. Since Velodyne is forcing a 10" woofer to have a -3dB point of 20Hz, movies with high bass content can most definitely run into it's limiter.

Just Friday night I calibrated a system where they already had a Velodyne HGS-15, and in a larger room, we ran into the limiter while playing Super Speedway at much more than -08 after calibration with all channels set to small. So, first thing to do is to do a reality check and see if the actual output levels are in balance with the main speakers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.