AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60gb PS3, which I bought last year. It has worked flawless up until today though.. I went to put in a movie (Sleeping Beauty-Blu-Ray) and it wouldn't work.. The screen said hard drive need to be reformatted. I clicked no, because it said all info would be lost.. Now when I turn it on, I get the home screen and that works, but when I go to play a movie it goes all black and that's it..
I tried 4 different movies too, the same thing (Black screen). Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do to rectify the problem.. Why does the screen go all black.. Any insight would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

·
Banned
4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15586183

I have a 60gb PS3, which I bought last year. It has worked flawless up until today though.. I went to put in a movie (Sleeping Beauty-Blu-Ray) and it wouldn't work.. The screen said hard drive need to be reformatted. I clicked no, because it said all info would be lost.. Now when I turn it on, I get the home screen and that works, but when I go to play a movie it goes all black and that's it..
I tried 4 different movies too, the same thing (Black screen). Has this happened to anyone else? If so what did you do to rectify the problem.. Why does the screen go all black.. Any insight would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

House,

Do you have a backup of your data...if not, you might want to do that pronto (looks like you can get to the home screen, go to the utilities and back up to an external usb harddrive).

What firmware are you on?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg /forum/post/15586351

House,

Do you have a backup of your data...if not, you might want to do that pronto (looks like you can get to the home screen, go to the utilities and back up to an external usb harddrive).

What firmware are you on?

Thanks.. Im going to do that now.. I think I have the current firmware 2.35. Is that the current??? It usually updates when I put a movie or game in.. lol Why would my PS3 being doing this all of sudden???

·
Banned
4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15586392

Thanks.. Im going to do that now.. I think I have the current firmware 2.35. Is that the current??? It usually updates when I put a movie or game in.. lol Why would my PS3 being doing this all of sudden???

2.53 is the most current firmware. If that it not what you have, I would suggest upgrading that as a next step. Also, take a look at the bd data utility under the video icon. If you have anything in there, delete it...restart the ps3 and see if your in business.

Not sure why it would start acting up all of a sudden...things just happen I guess

Ps. let that backup finish before you do anything...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg /forum/post/15586442

2.53 is the most current firmware. If that it not what you have, I would suggest upgrading that as a next step. Also, take a look at the bd data utility under the video icon. If you have anything in there, delete it...restart the ps3 and see if your in business.

Not sure why it would start acting up all of a sudden...things just happen I guess

Ps. let that backup finish before you do anything...

Yea, I have 2.53 as my firmware. Sorry.. I did what you said, and still nothing.. Someone said my lens may be dirty?? Can that be the case, if so, how do I do about cleaning it? Would a lens cleaner work? I don't want to rip this system apart if I don't have to..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15586459

did your video settings reset, maybe? try the "hold down the power button until it beeps twice" trick.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they are the same as before, I just looked...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15586579

Yea, I have 2.53 as my firmware. Sorry.. I did what you said, and still nothing.. Someone said my lens may be dirty?? Can that be the case, if so, how do I do about cleaning it? Would a lens cleaner work? I don't want to rip this system apart if I don't have to..

a dirty lens would prompt the machine to say it can't play or recognize the disc. it has to be your bd settings, or, since it asked you to format the drive and you didn't, related to that somehow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15586606

a dirty lens would prompt the machine to say it can't play or recognize the disc. it has to be your bd settings, or, since it asked you to format the drive and you didn't, related to that somehow.

Oh, ok.. Then how would I go about reformatting the drive now?? I had this thing a year, and still don't know how to use all the functions..
I just watch movies and game some what..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15586668

Oh, ok.. Then how would I go about reformatting the drive now?? I had this thing a year, and still don't know how to use all the functions..
I just watch movies and game some what..

got me
i assumed that when you were prompted to do it and you clicked "no," that there was also a "yes."

edit: OR, you bd drive is kaput. guess i didn't think of that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15586745

got me
i assumed that when you were prompted to do it and you clicked "no," that there was also a "yes."

Yes, you are correct.. I didn't have anything saved and I didn't want to lose my stuff, I guess I should have clicked yes.. I mean I only have game stuff saved.. Nothing major..

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15586745

got me

edit: OR, you bd drive is kaput. guess i didn't think of that.

I would be upset it that's the case.. It's only a year old.. Looks I will have to contact sony. If I have to send this in, will I get back my unit, or will they give me some other one?? I will be pi$$ed if I get some other one. I spent 500+ on this 60gb.. Least I still have my receipts if it comes to that, I digress, sorry.. I hope I can get this fixed at home..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i eagerly await your post reformatted hard drive report.

i'm feeling better and better that i splurged for the best buy 4 yr warranty when i bought my launch machine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1010 /forum/post/15586845

i eagerly await your post reformatted hard drive report.

i'm feeling better and better that i splurged for the best buy 4 yr warranty when i bought my launch machine.

How do I reformat that I said no the first time??. Is it in the settings menu somewhere?? Well, no machine should crap out in a years time that's for sure.. No, I didn't buy an extended warranty. SO well see what happens, if It comes down to that hopefully not..

·
Banned
4,619 Posts
House, there is an option to format the disk...it's under the settings somewhere...the kids have both ps3's under siege at the moment so I'm not sure where it is under there. I believe there is also an option somewhere in there to reset your settings...may try that first.

Can you play any games on it (disc games, not ones on the hd)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the response.. Here is where I am at now.. Last night, I updated the lastest firmware, took forever. Then boom it worked, both movies and games.. But, here is where It gets weird, I think it does. My home screen is usually black (The background), but it was brown yesterday when the trouble started.. SO last night after the firmware it went back to black.. So today I started it up and it was brown again, but still works.. Why is my home screen going back and forth between colors??? Sleeping beauty was a brand new Blu-ray, I just opened it.. I take good care of my stuff. That's whay I didn't think it was dirty.. I ordered a Blu-ray cleaning disk from amazon.. It doesn't use the bristles, it has to holes and blows out the dust.. I read up yesterday.. I will not be trying the self cleaning method, that is just insane..
I went out today and bought an eternal hard drive.. WD passport essential to back up my files.. I just would like to know why it asked me to reformat, as well as, why my background changes color??? Thanks again for everyone who responded.. If anyone has any insight on the screen coloring please share...

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15599793

Thanks for the response.. Here is where I am at now.. Last night, I updated the lastest firmware, took forever. Then boom it worked, both movies and games.. But, here is where It gets weird, I think it does. My home screen is usually black (The background), but it was brown yesterday when the trouble started.. SO last night after the firmware it went back to black.. So today I started it up and it was brown again, but still works.. Why is my home screen going back and forth between colors??? Sleeping beauty was a brand new Blu-ray, I just opened it.. I take good care of my stuff. That's whay I didn't think it was dirty.. I ordered a Blu-ray cleaning disk from amazon.. It doesn't use the bristles, it has to holes and blows out the dust.. I read up yesterday.. I will not be trying the self cleaning method, that is just insane..
I went out today and bought an eternal hard drive.. WD passport essential to back up my files.. I just would like to know why it asked me to reformat, as well as, why my background changes color??? Thanks again for everyone who responded.. If anyone has any insight on the screen coloring please share...

if you have the default theme for the ps3, it changes colors depending on what time of day it is. (i am not 100% on that, but very positive) that might be what your seeing.

to reformat there is an option under settings and format. --> do a backup first, then just restore ps3 default settings, i belive that it will format your hard drive.

i have a 60 gig also, and i have seen something similar to this with a firmware update a long time ago. it said something about data curruption and had to rebuild database. i clicked yes to go ahead and do it.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl /forum/post/15600147

if you have the default theme for the ps3, it changes colors depending on what time of day it is. (i am not 100% on that, but very positive) that might be what your seeing.

to reformat there is an option under settings and format. --> do a backup first, then just restore ps3 default settings, i belive that it will format your hard drive.

i have a 60 gig also, and i have seen something similar to this with a firmware update a long time ago. it said something about data curruption and had to rebuild database. i clicked yes to go ahead and do it.

hope that helps.

Yes, I have the default theme. If that's the case, good. I never noticed it before. Shows how much I pay attention, as well as, use it.. I will reformat the HD after I back it up.. Thanks for the insight...

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 /forum/post/15600274

Yes, I have the default theme. If that's the case, good. I never noticed it before. Shows how much I pay attention, as well as, use it.. I will reformat the HD after I back it up.. Thanks for the insight...
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ead.id=3579815

thought i saw that somewhere.. i dont use the default theme so i forgot that it does that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts