AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love some advice on the best placement and mounting options for my rear surround speakers in a 5.1 setup.

I have attached a floorplan of the room. I'm thinking of purchasing the Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater System speaker set for this, if that helps.

This is a basement, with support posts that can't move, so my first thought was to just get 2 small swivel wall-mount brackets and mount a speaker to each post (the posts are getting boxed-in with drywall in a few weeks).

Then I thought, maybe recessed or in-wall speakers for those rears might be nice.....then I thought....what about mounting the rears in the ceiling above the couch and aim them downwards...

It's an unfinished basement right now, which will become finished in the next 3-6 weeks, so I'll have access to the walls and ceiling areas before the drywall goes up. So, running the wires isn't really a problem, as far as access goes.

Trying to balance aesthetics and speaker performance. If I go with the wall-mount brackets, should I just have the bare speaker wire come out from the wall and into the back of the speaker? Or would you recommend a wall-plate with banana terminals or something, then run a short piece of wire from the wall plate into the back of the speaker?

I've setup 5.1 surround systems before, but previously I've just used speaker stands. Trying to go a little more "pro" on this one, since it's a dedicated media room, rather than a living room.

Also, if wall-mounted (as shown in diagram) should they be angled kind of 45 degrees toward the couches, or a full 90 degrees (perpendicular to the screen/couch) or does the angle not matter that much based on the speaker spacing I've got?

Thanks so much for any help!

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
If the surrounds were farther back behind the sofa I would say angle them.

But being they are inline with the sofa, I would place the RS as far back on that post as possible @90*

The LS, I would place on the side of the wall, more/less inline with the RS.

Nothing you can do about the side sofas, so concentrate on the center one.

Install speaker wall plates for the wire, run short wire to the speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So you'd recommend on-wall mounts for the rear surrounds rather than ceiling mounted? I was thinking maybe ceiling mounted rear surrounds might help get the "surround experience" to those side sofas....but maybe you're saying those side sofas are a lost cause

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Ceiling speakers are never a good choice, imo. Sometimes they become the only choice.

With the center speaker, no matter where one sits the dialog will be coming from the screen. But with the surrounds the only measurements taken will be from the center seat...so if the LS is 10' but the RS is only 8' , for instance, then only the center seat gets the true benefit of the surrounds set to those numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts