AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The Kenwood 6070 is a really nice sounding reciever. what do you want/expect to gain going to the 525 or 3803 ? .. ALMIR (A little more info required)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just seems to lack punch.. Maybe I have some setup problems. I have hunted for a spl meter without any luck. (analog) I have two mains two bookshelves and two surrounds and center. It just doesn't seem to have that punch.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stevemadison
I have hunted for a spl meter without any luck. (analog)
If you were looking for one at Radio Shack, you can quit looking.

As they no longer sell the analog one. The only one they still sell is the digital one now.

Yeah I know most people and even video essentials tell you to use that analog one and not the digital one.

But the digital ones will and do work also. It's just that it's a bit harder to watch and read moving digital numbers than it is a needle sweep. But either one will work.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Steve

========>

What model Wharfs do you have?

You made no metion of a sub, is this the case, you have no powered subwoofer?

Do you listen to HT, Music, or both and whats the split in %??

How big is your room?

Do you like it loud, have to rasie your voice quite a bit to speak to someone next to you?

========>

Depending on the model Wharfs you have and the answers to the questions above, it would be easier for people to give you an opinion on if a receiver upgrade would gain you much. A few of the Wharfedale lines are a little harder to drive than others. And they like clean bigger power than other lines.

Original Pacfics, the newer Pacific Evos, and Emeralds to name a few. The Diamond line is a little better but their not really greatly effecient with power either. A "Clean 100-watts" will drive all these speaks to very nice spl levels just fine, even when set to large.

In HT this dose put a bigger strain on the amp section for sure when running all speaks set to large or even if it's just the mains. Those lower freqs eat amp power/headroom big time.

The Kenwood you have is a nice little receiver and have my doubts at this point if a change out would be a major gain for you or if the money would be better spent else where, or possibly not at all.

Regards

Geoff

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnla
If you were looking for one at Radio Shack, you can quit looking.

As they no longer sell the analog one. The only one they still sell is the digital one now.

Yeah I know most people and even video essentials tell you to use that analog one and not the digital one.

But the digital ones will and do work also. It's just that it's a bit harder to watch and read moving digital numbers than it is a needle sweep. But either one will work.
You can get the analog one easily and at a good price on Ebay. There's seems to be one for sale all the time. I got mine for $21.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Wharfs are the Zaldek Series. No sub as of yet, my room size is 17x20 and is 90% HT and 10% music. I do not know if I should go powered sub and every speaker is set to the large setting. This is the purpose of this thread was to find out how to get the most from this receiver or upgrade it..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi Steve

The very first thing I highly recommend is picking up a SPL-meter and a calibration disc. "At least the SPL meter" and you can use the receivers test tones to start, this till you can get a proper set up disc. Not the best way but better than doing it by ear for sure.

You might try seting the mains large and all (other speaks set small) with the lowest crossover the receiver has 80Hz or up with your current set up. If you have not tried this already. The mains are much moe capable of deep bass than the center and bookshelf models.

The Zaldek line I have not heard, but as I remember reading their "quite effecient speaks". Like around 95 to 100+db @ 1-w/m depending on which speaker it is out of that line. Tho the 2 different towers are rated pretty deep Hz wise, I still think a decent budget or better ~{powered sub would be a better idea than a new receiver}~, IMO.

This would take a load off the receiver allowing them to play cleaner when setting them small and running a sub. Is this the best set up for you?,,,, only you can be the judge of that. Also if you did get a sub, how you set your other speaks (large or small) would be up to you, but most set all other speaks small (even towers). There are always exceptions to the rule of large and small, but few speakers are truly full range capable of playing 20 or even 25Hz with authority. This is the subs job in an HT system and at loud spl levels the center and bookshelf speakers could actually be damaged.

Hope not to have confused you, but get that spl meter and set up dics first. Then you can tell how your system (truly sounds now) when calibrated properly. Very few, even those that have been in audio a long time can't set their channels levels correctly/perfectly. This is very important as you tell by me mentioning for the 2nd time...

If you might possibly look into a sub, post a budget and size requirents if any for it and people will love to help spend your money. DO NOT buy the Zaldek NO spl, boom box sub if you start looking into a sub. This from one of the Britt HT/Stereo magazines.

30Hz even with room gain and it's totaly out of gas. The same money can buy a much better performing sub...

Not against Wharfedale, hell we have a bedroom full of 7-Oak Emeralds, it just they make poor subs in all the current speaker lines except the Evo,,, and then it's clean and solid only down to 30Hz, Britt mag again. For the kind of money they charge for the Evo sub, a much better sub could be bought.

Cheers

Geoff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geoff L

Your help has been the best. I have been looking at an svs sub 25-31 PCi and wondering if that would be the best. Are you saying the amp in the sub gives relief to the receiver?? Maybe that is really what I need along with the spl meter...

Also, does this receiver use "100 full watts" or is it overated. I like it for the price point but just want to maximize its potential.:)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Steve

Your receiver is fine for sure with speaks set to small and running a powered sub. With a self powered sub and your speakers set to "Small", this takes a big strain off the receivers internal amps.

This is because the receiver is now NOT tryng to produce power for the low end freqs. This is where most of your receivers power & headroom is ate up.

IMO your choice of the SVS-2531PCi will make a VERY noticeable difference once installed and calibrated. You will then have all the punch and bass you will probley need, unless you like it insainly loud.

As far as if your Kenwood actualy is capable of 100 watts a channel & all channels driven 20-20, I don't know. It certainly makes enough power when all speakers are set small and a powered sub is in the picture. It would play plenty loud especialy as efficent as your speaks are..

We run a cloned SVS-2039PC and I also built 2 more sealed SVS subs, all the subs are using SVS's original drivers. Belive me when I say you will notice a big difference with the sub, especialy if your looking at the SVS.

That model would be the one I would recommend for you with the best trade off of volume/spl and extension.

A call or email to Tom at SVS would be in order if/when your serious. He can help you get the type bass you want in your room while working with in your budget.

Be sure to check the B-stock page, they go fast, but their up their now and then and at a nice little savings. A friend bought a 2039PCi B-stock and it took us an hour to find what was wrong with it. It had a slight scuff about an inch long on the base plate edge,,, and not noticable at all!

If by chance you do get the 2531PC, you will quickly notice that your mains are not capable of serious authorative deep bass!

Get that spl meter and set up disc, you need it for proper calibration. You will find yourself using it allot more than just for calbrating your system for the very first time. Measuring your rooms sub responce, finding freq suckouts and peeks in your rooms responce, how loud you usualy listen to movies/music, etc.

I really belive you'll be much happier with a quality powered sub at this time in your system! Rather than NO SUB like now and a NEW Receiver, (no matter the brand or cost of the receiver).

You will re-watch all your action movies again for a whole new experience with the SVS........

Regards

Geoff

·
Registered
535 Posts
Geoff L, you must be thinking Klipsch though the Zaldek does have a fairly high sensitivity rating from 88-91dB.

Nice looking speaker but I've never heard one just wondering how they sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geoff L

Free advice from this fourm is like that Mastercard commercial....Priceless.

I do appreciate all your help. I will be ordering the SVS today, along with a spl meter, but how does the spl meter work?? (Yeah, newbie question I know.. ) I have read little through the forum on how to work these.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I may have made a mistake with the Zaldeks sensitivity, but as I said ~{as I rememeber}~. Steve has the speaks and should be able to tell us just what their sensitivity is.

Even if their down around 90db, he should still have "plenty of power" to run the speaks set to small with the SVS,,,, and make more than enough clean noise for and enjoyable movie experience once caliabrated.

Depending on the set up disc you purchase, you will use the spl meter to set all the channel levles to a certain db (75 or 85db) when read off the meter while using the tones on the set up disc. Usualy you start with the front left speaker set to small and run the tone, turning the receivers volume up till it reads 75 or 85db and (then don't touch it after that). This is reference volume on your system in your room.

The tone will move to the center speaker where you will use the centers channels volume (in the receivers set up control) to bring the spl up or down to match the 75 or 85db you read with the left main. You continue around to all the speaks setting their channels levels to match. Remember to set all speaks small first and sub on. The sub you can set the same at the 75 or 85db (again depending on the disc), but many will run it 3 to 5 db hotter.

Thats a short and dirty on how to do it using one of the set up discs. Most set up discs have some explanantion on how to use the disc. Combine that with this and you should have a basic grip on it.

You will likely have more questions once you start to do it, but thats part of learnimng. Get the analog meter if you can as many find it, it's a little easier to read. The digital one works fine, but first time users can find it hard to use.

I think Amazon has the new VE, but S&V or Avia cali discs work just fine. Avia dose a great job of explaning why your doing what your doing, & how to do it. It's a bit hard to find anymore.

Gota crash

Geoff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.