AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my electrician work up an estimate for all the lighting in my HT and basement. He wants to use NON IC recessed lights. Is this correct? Im assuming it is, but thought I read somewhere on here something contracdictory to that but couldnt find it.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Not necessarily true. A non-IC lumenaire can indeed be set in a ceiling with insulation, but it needs a minimum of 3" in all directions clear of insulation.

The electrician may have a good reason (besides cost) for specifying non-IC cans. As I understand it, non-IC cans can be inserted through the hole cut for them. IC cans can't since the housing is much bigger than the hole. If you are re-fitting an existing room, non-IC cans may be your only option.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use non IC lights in my basement HT with a drop ceiling and insulation without any issues.

Like DMF said I just made sure I had at least 3" clearance around the lights.

They were much less expensive than IC lights.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
Not necessarily true. A non-IC lumenaire can indeed be set in a ceiling with insulation, but it needs a minimum of 3" in all directions clear of insulation.

The electrician may have a good reason (besides cost) for specifying non-IC cans. As I understand it, non-IC cans can be inserted through the hole cut for them. IC cans can't since the housing is much bigger than the hole. If you are re-fitting an existing room, non-IC cans may be your only option.
Sorry, thats correct. I forgot about that situation. I actually have three cans in an area that were non-IC rated and kept the insulation away from them a few inches on all sides.

DMF, Sounds like retro versus new construction. If you're doing a retrofit, you cut the whole the size of the can and can slip that puppy into it and wire it. If you're trying to install a new construction can, you'd have a hard time getting the can into the whole.

Hardax, a little cheaper, but not much. Although many people here don't like Halo (brand at HD), you can get a IC rated contractors pack of 6 for like 35.00. That's pretty cheap (does not include trim of course).

Bud

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah my guy says not much price difference for the IC rated. Id rather be safe in that regard so its worth a little more to me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In my case, there was zero price difference between IC and non-IC cans in my basement finish project. I was able to work with my local supplier and got contractor's pricing on all the cans. I'm using Lightolier stuff throughout my basement. The pricing I got was $13 for either the IC or non-IC new construction cans. I'm very particular with how the trims fit and the overall look of the entire assembly so Lightolier was the only way to go for me. Plus I already have Lightolier throughout the other spaces in my house. I was able to talk my builder into upgrading to Lightolier cans during the construction phase. Of course, I had to pay the difference.

Where you really find a huge price jump is when you go IC or non-IC low voltage cans. The non-IC Lightolier cans cost me about $58. The IC low voltage cans cost me about $110. Ouch.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
God bless USA Light & Electric . I got my LV IC cans for $38 or so. With trims and lamps they run $55-65 per luminaire. Not as nice as Juno, but nice enough. Any designer will tell you to estimate $100+ per LV luminaire so I feel like I got a good deal. And they look fantastic!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm going to use Lightolier cans in my HT room, and Halos everywhere else in my basement. I've read a few threads saying that Halos in a HT room will rattle and aren't as good as the Lightolier or Progress cans. They're only a few bucks more, and I only need 6 in the HT, so I'll splurge a bit....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.