AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my father remodel the area above his fireplace to place a plasma that hasn't been picked out yet. We will be wiring through the wall and using conduit to reach an area about 4 feet away where the components will be placed.

My question is how to wire things to make the cleanest install (with wall plates?) and have the greatest range of options for use (within reason). I need to order the cables and plates soon so I can do the work in a couple weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Any thoughts? Anyone.......... please?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
As you have not said what hardware you will be using the max flexibility will be

power outlet for the display

Coax for the TV from the ant. or pass through from the cable box

2 HDMI cables or 1 HDMI

1 component video or 2 component video

2 analog audio (L and R stereo)

1 optical

1 digital coax.

1 S video or composite video if you are going to hook up something like an old VCR directly.

Why so many?

Depends on what receiver you buy and whether you will use it to switch sources. If you do then you need only one video connection, either HDMI or component (unless your receiver has an on scree menu that needs a separate hookup.

If you can tell us what make and model plasma and what make and model receiver, and whether the receiver will be used to switch everything, or if you need to connect it so either the receiver or the straight TV can be used. Oh and will it be cable box/DVR or over the air from an antenna?

There are plates and receptacles for everything. Start your research here--

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....TOKEN=58620862

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post #4 (need 5 to link to images)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post #5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the response!

Unfortunately He doesn't have the plasma picked out yet. This is why I'm asking for advice. The only components that matter are an aiwa av d55 which has only RCA, and a Dish network vip622 DVR .

All of his components are poor with the possible exception of the satellite box. The plasma will be the first piece of nice equipment. Eventually he will get HDDVD I'm sure, but sadly the stereo will probably stay for a while.

They are also entertaining the idea of installing a camera to be wired to the TV also although I'm not sure what that will entail. (RCA?)

I imagine I will need:

2 HDMI for the satellite and DVD.

2 RCA for the security camera and stereo.

2 component,1 for Xbox 360
and 1 for expansion.
EDIT:
1 coax.

1 optical for OTA signal yo stereo

Any other minor components (VCR or camera?) could be hooked up through the stereo via RCA is my thought.

Should I possibly add a DVI for good measure or is that an outgoing technology? Maybe I should add an extra HDMI and if we need DVI in the future I could get a converter. If I did that would I then need to run an extra set of RCA to carry audio?

Also, are standard installs using plates? If so, do they use them on both sides of the wall (TV side and component side)? Realistically it seems like 3 times the cables to get easier upgrading. Is this the way it would be done professionally?

Thanks again. I'm off to research wall plates!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before picture if it helps.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EDIT: I have found many answers in this thread Wall plates are a must!

·
Registered
342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun851 /forum/post/0

EDIT: I have found many answers in this thread Wall plates are a must!

Cool! I was going to reply with a "look in my thread" reply. The only downside with wallplates is that each connection you make weakens (somewhat) the signal. But they definitely look good.

Post some pics when completed!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I feel that it is only necessary to run 1 run of each type of wire in the wall, you can pick up a reciever that should have component, composite and s-video switching for a couple hundred bucks. I think that you can get an HDMI switcher for not too much money either. As HDMI and DVI are interchangeable with adapters, just running HDMI should be sufficient.

Just my opinion, there's enough cabling to go inside the wall without doubling stuff up, but there's no harm in running extra stuff if you have the room (the in wall wiring is very thick!)

Edit: Make sure that the wiring you get is all rated for in wall use (Class 2 {CL2} or CL3). Monoprice was the best deal that I could find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got some "before" drawings made up & I thought I would share.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And a couple of proposed "after"....
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thanks to IHaveAMullet for leading me to the software!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This weekend is the weekend! My Dad picked the panasonic 50px60u and got a good deal thanks to a Sears 110% pricematch to Bestbuy + 10% mail in rebate on large appliances with Sears charge. Makes me want to party like we just signed the Decleration of Independance!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I would run 2" conduit or wider. Include a string for pulling. That way you can pull new wires as necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.