AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a remote system that my elderly parents will be able to use. Most systems being pitchjed by home theater builders are in the 600-1300 area, and honeslty are too much for their needs. Their setup is as such:

1 main room with 5.1 sound, most of the video here will come from cable box, and roku (all components from all rooms will be housed in a closet, basement, somehwere not in the room)

2. bedroom with tv, and a cable box that will be housed in the basement. They want to be able to change tv channels, and control the roku from this bedroom with the remote.

3. Outdoor space that will just stream music.

What is the cheapest remote solution to do all of this? They are not adverse to an ipad app though I dont think they will want that to be their only remote, for changing tv channels for instance. Is 600 for two remotes the cheapest solution? any ideas?

·
Registered
15,289 Posts
Cheapest is JP1 plus Next Generation RF, under $100 for everything. A step up would be Harmony Smart and Ultimate. Another step up would be URC, putting you back up into the 600 range.

Getting RF into a basement through several walls, closets, furniture and a couple of floors can be a challenge. You really won't know if it will work until you try it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the reply. So would you think if you are looking to house all of the items in the basement it would be better to go with a more expensive remote? Would URC perform better than a logitech lets say? What about URC vs. Control4? any ideas?

·
Registered
15,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogant  /t/1515779/help-with-remote-system-for-elderly/0_100#post_24306919

Ok, thanks for the reply. So would you think if you are looking to house all of the items in the basement it would be better to go with a more expensive remote? Would URC perform better than a logitech lets say? What about URC vs. Control4? any ideas?
I'm no URC or Control4 expert. But I haven't found much difference in RF performance among different brands. I'm sure some are better than others, I just don't know which ones. Remotecentral.com is probably a better resource for that kind of info than this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts