AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
background: i have 56k, and a linksys wireless router with the replaytv 5504 hardwired...

i know with a router you cant do internet connection sharing. what i want to do is download and steam movies to and from the replay. but i would like to use the build in modem for the channel guide.

does anyone know how i can do this? when i change the replay to eithernet it will pull an ip address but it says it cant find an internet connection and switchs back to modem and drops the ip address.

does anyone have any idea???

thanks!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking...

If you want to download channel guide with the modem, set the unit up to use the modem..

if you want to stream, then plug the unit into the router, and leave it setup to connect via modem. The box will either get an ip from the router or default to 192.168.0.x.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
I'm not sure what you're asking...

If you want to download channel guide with the modem, set the unit up to use the modem..

if you want to stream, then plug the unit into the router, and leave it setup to connect via modem. The box will either get an ip from the router or default to 192.168.0.x.

the problem is when i plug the replay into the router the only way i can get it to get an IP is by changing the connection to eithernet. and when i do that it trys to find an internet connection. and there isnt one on the router. so it changes back to modem.

can you give step by step instructions on how to set this up? its my understanding that i cant use the modem and eithernet at the same time.

heck ill even call you if you want lol.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Try what Lyndon mentioned. Setup for telephone and then just plug your ReplayTV into the router. If you go into your router's DHCP table, you should see the ReplayTV showing up.

To stream you'll need two (or more) ReplayTVs and/or a networked computer with DVArchive installed on it.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You can definitely do this... I just posted instructions to someone else in the last week (mostly I pointed them to another more detailed thread on the subject).

Try doing a search when the Forum isn't so busy (it seems to be disabled right now).

The best way to get this done is to setup the Replay via the network while you are connected to the internet on the home PC and with Windows Internet Connection Sharing (and the DHCP server) running.

Then the Replay WILL find a connection to use and it WILL get a valid IP.

Then you can change it back to modem and you should still be able to see the Replay from your home computer.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
He may not have a broadband connection though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got it. i had to unplug the replay and it pulled an IP from the router. and its still set on modem to dial..

now all i need to do is figure out how to convert mpeg to vcd so i can burn them :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
He may not have a broadband connection though.
Sounds like he got it working.... but I actually assumed he DIDN"T have a broadband connection. That's why I said he should connect the PC to the internet (via dial-up) so the unit grabbed the IP and successfully connected via his dial up 56K line.

That would have worked, no?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Sounds like he got it working.... but I actually assumed he DIDN"T have a broadband connection. That's why I said he should connect the PC to the internet (via dial-up) so the unit grabbed the IP and successfully connected via his dial up 56K line.

That would have worked, no?
Sometimes I'm so dense. Yes, of course that would work.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.