AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have unhappily discovered, the Infocus LP340 that I purchased does very badly with rgb input - especially yellows. See thread on this subject at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006411.html

After reading up a bit on this forum, I have decided to switch from DLP to LCD, and am leaning toward the NEC VT440.

But before making the switch, it would be **very** helpful to me if someone could reassure me that this model reproduces rgb colors well. For example, do the websites tested at the thread above look good? For example: http://www.drome-a-cheval.com/collines/index.htm

Does the Nec VT440 produce accurate yellows, blues, reds, greens, browns, and whatever other color you may see on a website? In other words, will I be happy using this projector to show websites?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've got a VT540, hooked up by RGB to an iScan pro, watching an interlaced DVD player connected by component out to the iScan.

I don't have the ability to hook up a computer to the projector (I'm on a laptop, with no video out.). Colors with the above RGB hookup, however, are exceptional. The colors may be the best feature of this projector.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I also have the vt540. I use a htpc and the colors are outstanding. If you are trying to show off web sites I think this the vt440 is an exceptional way to go. I would be a little concerned for home theater that the pixelization would be a little much but for web site display at SVGA I would imagine you would be very pleased.

As discussed in another thread there is some green haze in the default image on this projector as well. Fortunatley, the solution couldn't be any easier. You can put up a grey scale if you have it or simply watch a movie with a lot of outdoor bright white sunlight. Then simply turn down CONTRAST GREEN until the whites come in as they should. It is very easy to see once you do it. I have mine set at about the 1/3 mark of the entire bar.

Good luck!

JP

[This message has been edited by JP (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks!

But could anyone with a 440 (or a 540 - I guess they'll be the same for color?) take a look at *websites* such as the link above and tell me if they look accurate in terms of color? I have found that HT use is not as critical to color shifts as websites, that often have large swatches of solid colors.

Help!

[This message has been edited by loup (edited 06-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Loup, if I have time tonight I will try to take a screenshot of the projected web site image and put it up here. It might help give you some idea.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loup:
*Snif* Doesn't anyone want to help me? *snif*

Anyone with a NEC 440 or 540???

Thanks (I hope http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif )
Loup, sorry I haven't gotten the screenshots up and from the looks of it I might not be able to, at least not in the near future. We are getting hit by one heck of a tropical storm down here and power has been intermittent for some time now, not to mention flooding. Also, my digicam's rechargable batteries need recharging, I am about to go out of town to a wedding, etc.. Basically, I won't be turning on my projector for some time http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Your best course of action would be simply to go see a demo for yourself. Ultimately, I don't see you really have any choice anyway. What are your options? It is well known that in this price range dlp will yield a greenish hue wherea lcd will not. LCD isn't perfect but as far as colors are concerned it will do a better job in this price range than dlp. So let's say you get an lcd and you still feel the color reproduction isn't accurate enough for you? What then? DILA is quite a bit more expensive than a vt440. See my point.

I would take the plunge. I did and I am very happy with the colors.

Good luck!

JP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.