AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

After some research and reading lots of post, I have finally put the design of my room on paper. In short, my system has:

Audio

Emotiva UPA-2 x 2 for the surround channels

Emotiva XPA-3 for the front

Marantz SR-7005 pre-amp

Speakers

I'm trying to decide between:

a. Paradigm reference series: Studio 20 and CC-590 for the center channel VS.

b. B&W CT series - and not sure which one would be best 7.3 vs 7.5

Subwoofer will be Sunfire Junior vs. ????

Video

Epson 9700UB with Panamorph FX2000 fixed lens

Oppo 93 Blu Ray player

Mac Mini Media Center with Plex

Screen - Steward AT vs. Screen Innovations black diamond 1.4

I have included a floor plan and a rough sketch of the screen wall and stage.

Let me know what you guys think - this will be my first room and I'm not sure where to go next. Thanks alot for all the input.

Floor Plan.pdf 22.70703125k . file

Carada and Steward.pdf 41.7451171875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
1) I don't think the SI screen is an acoustically-transparent screen, and your drawing shows the Carada Masquerade + screen, which also isn't AT. (Also, it's Stewart...)

2) If you've got a 22' deep room, why put the seating location so close? Or are there two rows just not shown? My first row is at 10' but the "prime" seating is at 15' for a 139" 2.35 screen. I haven't had any complaints about the front row - but it was my chief concern as I went through the project...

Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff - I was thinking of the SI screen as an alternative and put the speaker at the bottom of the screen - I have heard a lot of good think about SI and black level so want to consider it.

We will just have one row of seat - will have to move back as you suggested.

Finally, thx for the sp correction. -

·
Registered
622 Posts
Looks like a nice equipment list. The rooms dimensions look pretty good, too.

I would encourage you to look into one of the services that provide you with a plan to acoustically treat your space. AVS offers a design service that I believe is provided by Dennis Erskine (link: http://shop.avscience.com/Design-Services_c_27.html ). Seems like an awfully good investment.

Another big decision is whether to acoustically isolate the room (i.e., "soundproofing"). There's a lot of good information in the articles at The Soundproofing Company: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/library/articles/

You have enough room length to include a second row of seating. Is that in the plan? A second row would need to be elevated on a riser, which can sometimes be a challenge if the entry door is located in the back of the room. Ideally, two rows of seating would also mean two sets of side surround speakers, although many folks get by with a single set.

Looks like you're planning an AT screen wall, which can look very polished and elegant. It would also give you a nice space in which to hide a big-box sub. No offense to Sunfire but since you can hide a big box, you can get more extension and more SPL than the little Sunfire can provide. The Sunfire would be great to use as a second sub out in the room to help smooth out the in-room bass response.

Will you want to hide the surround speakers? In-wall speakers can be hidden behind AT fabric panels. On-wall speakers can be hidden in columns.

Do you want a stage in the front under the screen wall? A stage is mostly for aesthetics but it can add to the immersive experience when done well.

Do you want to keep the electronics in the theater? Will you want to see the electronics? Some people like the "high tech" look of a visible rack, other people find it distracting and prefer to hide it.

I'm probably leaving a bunch of stuff out but that's what pops to mind in terms of fleshing out your plan.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx dwightp, those are great suggestions.

1. As this will be just for the family, we are just going to go with one row of seating.

2. Definitely on the stage - I have been reading all the posts on it and particularly like the look of Pocoloco's room.

3. What would you suggest for subwoofer?

4. About the electronic, I was thinking of putting them behind the false wall and construct a door so I can get access to them but don't have to look at them with the movie going.

Thanks again

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
3. What would you suggest for subwoofer?

I'm no subwoofer expert but I can suggest a couple of things for you to research.

If you're a DIY kind of a guy, how about one of these:

Link: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html

15" X 17" x 72". Stand it up or lay it on its side.

For commercial subs, there are two on-line companies that are very well thought of: SVS ( www.svsound.com ) and Hsu ( www.hsuresearch.com ). Both have a fairly wide range of products in terms of size and price. Outlaw Audio also sells a sub that has gotten good reviews ( www.outlawaudio.com ).

Almost all of the major speaker companies sell subwoofers, and at higher price ranges many of these appear to be quite good. For the most part, I think the three on-line sellers listed above represent more value at the price points they serve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.