AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is having problems with his room and wanted ideas on what treatments would help. His bass gets pretty boomy and is the worst problem. He has Paradigm Studio 60s, with matching center and surround speakers. His sub is a Paradigm PW-2200(all indicated as black boxes in picture). The room is 18ft by 12 ft. One of the side walls has an opening that is 10 ft long that is to the left of the front speakers and opens up into a very large room. He has thought of trying to put some type of curtain over the open area in the wall if that is a problem spot. Any ideas would be great thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Easy, build or buy some bass traps in the corners of your room (or crevices), and openings. Then you should be set.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I wouldn't do a curtain. It will just kill the highs and do nothing to help with the bass. In addition to some bass absorbtion to help tame things, you'll also want to deal with the reflection points on the right wall. The left wall is open so you can't do anything there but it is likely already so long at that point that you'll just be effectively balancing left to right.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. So to make sure I'm getting this right so far, putting bass traps in the corners including the corners of the wall where the 10 ft opening is and some kind of treatment at the first point of reflection on the solid wall would be a good place to start?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Its not a good start, its a great start. For the reflection points uses some rigid fiberglass 1-2" thick (OC703), with bass traps your going to want something much thicker around 4". At this point having Ethan, or Terry come in would be great for you.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
In addition to absorption panels/traps, try experimenting with the subwoofer placement. Many times, all you have to do is move the subwoofer a few inches in a direction and the problem is qwelled.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Straddle all corners and that can be where the ceiling meets the wall and walls meet the floor. A corner is a corner. If you do not have corners then be sure to space off the walls 4". Yes use 4" for bass trapping. For the first reflections you don't have to space them off the walls, but it will help. I do recommend 2" panels for that. Depending on if the room has some concrete walls or concrete behind the drywall you may need to put a lot of panels up.

Glenn

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading some more threads, I saw one talking about a utility room with a shared wall to the room where the speakers are. The only thing that was between the two rooms was dry wall and this was causing echoing problems. If that is true, this room has the same problem. Would getting some normal insulation and putting it on the utility room side of the wall take care of this problem or would more be needed?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Not really. What the problem was there (IRIC) was that the wall itself was ringing since it was hollow and uninsulated.

If it is possible, some additional bass absorbtion in the room that the main room opens into would also help. Not sure if that fits in the asesthetic plans or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.