AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking her for months asking the occasional question. I'm nearing a decision point regarding choosing between a RPTV or Front projection system. I'm a computer and digital photography buff so I enjoy getting inside the PC and configuring things.

Currently I have a '97 Sony 63" RPTV which is still usable, but has lost optimum convergence. I'm using a Denon with THX for all sound. Attached to the Denon is a Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD burner, Sony VCR, TIVO, Laser disc player and, of course a cable box.

I plan to spend between $4000 and $4500 and had a few questions I hope some of you might address.

I have seen things can get almost fanatic in the HTPC forum with regards to resolution and detail. I'm not really interested in going the PC DVD through high cost video and scalar cards and filters. Convenience plays a large part in my listening and watching. I've installed Man Lobby and have it working with a Slink-e through a gyro mouse and LCD on my coffee table. I's fabulous! I plan on buying the Kenwood DVM-5900 juke box for my DVDs and load DVD Lobby through DVD Profiler.

When I come home from work around 4:30 the TV is on continually till 11:00 pm. I have the kids and grandkids over a lot and we watch movies on the large screen. There is always someone reading or some ambient light in the room.

I became very interested in front projection from this web site and this forum. The RPTV I have (and may buy to replace) is a hige piece of furniture. Anyway I read about the Infocus FP unit (which costs around $4200; sorry I forgot the model) and an NEC 1000(?) for about the same. I saw the Infocus at a showromm and it was very impressive. However I read here that bulbs don't last long (at least as long as my 6 year old Sony RPTV). I've heard anywhere between 300 - 1600 hours. That would mean between 60-320 days for a bulb which costs around $300. For me, that's unacceptably expensive. Are these hours correct?

For the RPTV I'm looking at a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond.

Would anyone care to compare & contrast features expenses or anything else about the two technologies to help me make a decision?

Thanks

Rich

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.