AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me out. I got my Yamaha DVD-S2300 yesterday and I absolutely love it. Having said that, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get an SACD disk to play in surround/multi-channel mode. The DVD on screen set-up went fine - surround is great. Dolby Digital and DTS is working fine. SACD stereo is working fine. I did the separate SACD setup as well. I selected 5 small+sub and did the SACD surround test tone check. All speakers, including the surrounds, tested fine. I made sure the SACD disks were indeed surround - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and John Pizarelli with George Shearing. Both sound great in stereo. No surround!? Any idea what I may be overlooking. Thanks in advance.

Phil Kane

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen, as embarrassed as I am to say, that was the problem. I knew of the switch, but wasn't aware that it couldn't be done on the fly. So I kept pushing it during playback and nothing happened. Thanks very, very much. Life is good!

Phil

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Don't be embarrassed at all Phil; it's a small miracle that you actually figured out how to set up this player for either the SACD or DVD-Audio modes!:D

THE single most confusing setup of ANY consumer product I've ever used.

Having said that, once you finally get it set up it's a heck of a good player!:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the kind words. Yes, it is rather confusing to set up. I always set out on these ventures by taking a very deep breath and centering myself (as best I can) so that the frustration I will inevitably feel will not make me take a hammer and smash the machine to bits. Success does feel good though, and yes I am very pleased with the 2300. By the way, I noticed that a couple of my SACD and DVD-A disks make the S2300 'say' "no down mix" when I press Play. I also notice that the sub-woofer is thrown into a sleep mode at that point. Have you any idea what "no down mix" actually means? Thanks again for the kind words.

Phil Kane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.