Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I picked up one of the Samsung HD STB's with the Directv deal they are running. I have a couple of questions about the unit.

1) I can't get the caller ID to work. The phone line is hooked up, and the menu says caller ID is turned on, but nothing happens when the phone rings... Is this a known issue, or is it my unit?

2) The unit seems to keep trying to download an update everynight and failing, however it also looks like it is trying to download the version that it is already running. Anyone know what is up with this?

Thanks,

-Dan

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. I got the new Samsung a few days ago and hooked it up. The Firmware version is 1.0.06. So far, its tried to download version 1.0.10 three times. Each time it states that the download "failed".

Also, same issue with CallerID. It says its on, but nothing registers - it logs no calls. In the System Information section, for phone it says "no prefix". I'm not sure what that means.

Help anyone....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Are you plugged directly into the phone jack or are you using a wireless phone connection? Also is anything else hooked up pn that phone line like another caller id or splitter?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm using a wireless phone connector (powerline). Perhaps that's the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just an FYI, the firmware is downloaded from the dish not the phoneline.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh yea I forgot about that Charles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I assume that they are two seperate issues.

Has anyone been able to get the caller id to work?

What about the software update, is everyone having trouble with it?

Thanks,

-Dan

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 3 week old TS160 that had 1.0.06 software on it. It kept failing to upgrade to 1.0.10 twice a day for 2 weeks. Last Wednesday it finally upgraded. I noticed that same day that many owners of the Zenith 520 box also got their upgrade.

Bob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dweyant
I assume that they are two seperate issues.

Has anyone been able to get the caller id to work?

What about the software update, is everyone having trouble with it?

Thanks,

-Dan
Yes, they are two separate issues since the firmware is downloaded via the satellite wideband link, not the phoneline. I haven't been able to get the CallerID to work, but its not a feature I really care about. Since I'm using a powerline carrier wireless phone jack, that could explain the issue.

Regarding the firmware, its encouraging to read from Bob_422 that his unit eventually upgraded. Mine has been on for only about 5 days, and so far the upgrade has failed everyday.

Anyone know what this upgrade is supposed to fix?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob_422
I have a 3 week old TS160 that had 1.0.06 software on it. It kept failing to upgrade to 1.0.10 twice a day for 2 weeks. Last Wednesday it finally upgraded. I noticed that same day that many owners of the Zenith 520 box also got their upgrade.

Bob
same here

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I've had mine almost 4 weeks

My caller ID works, but not completely...

The line that plugs into the receiver, has 2 # assigned to it.

On normal caller ID, nomatter what # is called (custom ringing to destinguish which # is being called) the caller ID shows the info, but not through TS160. The only # that shows info is the one that D* has, when the other # rings, nothing.

does this sound like a TS160 prob?

or

does this have something to do with D* not having that other #?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kgalbreth
Your caller ID unit may be "stripping" the information before it hit's the 160.
"stripping"??

not sure what you mean

I don't have it plugged into a Caller ID, except for the TS160

Actually I split the line, one to phone, one to TS160, both lines out have the same two #s

·
Registered
342 Posts
"stripping"??

not sure what you mean

I don't have it plugged into a Caller ID, except for the TS160

Actually I split the line, one to phone, one to TS160, both lines out have the same two #s

Since you don't have your line plugged in to a Caller ID unit before hitting the 160, you aren't stripping the Caller ID before it hits the Sammy. Sometimes, following that procedure will prevent other Caller ID units on the line from receiving the signal from the telco.

If I have it correctly, you have 2 phone lines out of one jack. Under this assumption, you are feeding what is referred to as an RJ-14. 2 lines, using the red/green and yellow/black. Line one on red/green, and line 2 on the yellow/black pair. Then you have a four conductor line cord feeding a 2 line phone.

The Samsung Ts-160 can only read the red/green (line 1) pair (ie, an RJ-11 jack).

Hope that helps, and that I have understood your connection properly.

Ken

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Hey I appretiate the help!!!

Basically I have one phone line, but that one phone line has 2 seperate # assigned to it.

So instead of, 555-1111 being one line and 555-2222 being another line

it is one line for 555-1111 and 555-2222

555-1111 is listed and only telemarketers call that number - when that number rings it rings one FULL ring (RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG). never answer that number (that is the one that TS160 is displaying, also the number I gave D*)

555-2222 is unlisted and everyone that we know calls that number - when that number rings, it rings twice (RRRRRRIIINNNGGG RRRRRIIIIINNNNGG)

Not sure on the exact wiring, but I know that there is only one line

but I do have a "jumper" I believe it is called, making my 1 jack into 2 jacks (each should be the same)

one goes to the phone

one goes to TS160

hope that makes sense, I know my house is the only one set up like this

back in the day (before Caller ID) that was how we were able to distinguish who was calling, with out having to get a second line

·
Registered
342 Posts
You have what is called smart ring service. The Sammy for some reason doesn't recognize the double ring. I didn't think it mattered whether it was one long ring or 2 short rings, as long as there was voltage present, I thought the unit would pick it up. Could be that smart ring only passes Caller ID on the long ring on the main number.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
but what I don't get is that there is no main number, I mean it shouln't matter which number is called, the signal is still coming in on one line.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I understand what you are saying. For years, I had smart ring service at my house. One number was the main billing number, the other the smart ring. I used it for my fax machine, and ran it through a fax switch which would send the double ring to the fax, and the long (main ring) to our home phones.

For most phone co's, the long ring is the main billing number. If I remember correctly, the Caller ID passed to the little box unit from the phone company, no matter which number rang. I do know that the long ring displayed on the 160, but the double ring never reached it because it went to the fax.

All this hasn't probably helped you much, but I've had a good stroll down memory lane on what telco knowledge I have.

Maybe a call to your phone service provider would help.

Ken

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.