Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.....

Let me first say I have attempted to search the boards for several hours now for a solution to this problem and could not find any similar. Forgive me if it has already been posted somewhere....

I have A GeForce 4 Ti 4400 with updated drivers from the NVIDIA website. I also have a Samsung HLM617W television I am trying to connect it to via DVI.

Upon connecting the PC to the television, it defaults to 800X600 resolution. It will not let me change the resolution through the control panel.

I installed Powerstrip and followed instructions on creating a custom display setting. Upon doing so, rather than immediately accepting the setting, it prompts me to restart the computer. Whether I restart or not, the new setting is not used. After restarting, the new setting is visible in powerstrip and I am able to select and apply it. Rather than applying, however, it simply resets back to 800X600. I have tried several different display settings that should be supported by the television with no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, first impressions on picture quality are great! I went from a Pioneer 64" HDTV CRT and think the Samsung is far better out of the box. XBOX HD games look great, now I'm just waiting on help since I can't wait to play some PC games on it........

Thanks in advance.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the HLN617W and I am pretty sure that you are not supposed to use the DVI input for the computer, in fact I think it says so in the manual. You are supposed to use the one marked "computer" that is a 15-pin XGA input. My computer looks great on the XGA input.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an HLN617W. I am pretty sure you are not supposed to use the DVI input for a computer, in fact it says not to in the manual. You are supposed to use the input marked "computer" that is a 15-pin XGA input. I have my computer hooked to the XGA input and the picture quality is great.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Aloe Vera, that geForce card, is it a dual-head card? (1 vga, 1 dvi, possibly s-video) ? I'm wondering if it's one of the nView software's many "idiosyncracies".

·
Registered
570 Posts
dscotta - Yes, the VGA input is marked "computer." However, DVI is DVI, and works PERFECTLY with a computer with DVI output. Dozens and dozens of people have this hooked up this way, and it is the BEST way to connect a computer, PQ wise.

I don't mean to slam you, but there are many inaccurate posts regarding these sets, and it makes it hard to get a straight answer, which leads to redundant threads, etc. and it gets, well, messy. Please don't post info that is incorrect, especially information that is contrary to what dozens of other users have posted. It just causes confusion.

I don't mean to rant at you, just wanted to get the facts straight.

Cheers,

RDaneel

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I'm very interested in the answer to your question, but I think there is a better forum for an answer. Try the "Home Theater Computers" forum too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, after much fooling around and installation of several different drivers, I have managed to get the resolution set to 1280X720 without the use of Powerstrip. Now, this resolution and 800X600 are available, but none in between. I have still been unsucessful in using Powerstrip.

The GeForce card I am using DOES have a DVI, VGA, and S-Video output on it, if that helps.

While I do have the resolution set now, I would still like to play around with different resolutions if possible. Any ideas on fixing this problem would be appreciated.

While I'm at it, another question for those of you that play PC games on your Samsung......

Since 800X600 and 1280X720 are my only available resolutions currently, these are the only resolution available for games also. Since most games do not support 1280X720, they default to 800X600. As I'm sure you can imagine, they look awful at this low resolution. Have any of you managed to get them working at a higher resolution? How might you have managed to do it? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

I hope I'm not making the Samsung sound bad with these questions. While I do have some troubles with the PC, all other aspects of the television have been GREAT! Picture quality is wonderful for both SD and HD, and Xbox games in 480P look amazing. I am very happy with the purchase with the exception of some PC troubles, which I'm hoping you can help me out with.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Remember, this is not an analog multisync... whatever signals are recieved that are not native res will be scaled to native res, but the scaler only recognizes a few (mainly HDTV oriented) formats. If you want the optimal 4:3 resolution, you need to configure a 960 x 720 format with powerstrip... this should map 1:1 to the center of the screen with black sidebars. I think the scaler will also recognize 640 x 480, and 1024 x 768, but these will be scaled (imperfectly) to 960 x 720, as they are 4:3 formats.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mid the overscan at all, or the slight stretching that occurs. My biggest problem is that since other resolutions aren't available in control panel, games "grey them out" so they are not available to me in the PC games' menu either. This forces me to play in 800X600, which looks simply awful. Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas for me to try? Thanks so much for the responses I've gotten already, and thanks for looking!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still trying with no luck........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Control Panel, Settings, Advanced, Monitor. If the box that allows you to Hide Modes that this Monitor Cannot Display is checked, try unchecking it. Then Go back to Settings and try changing to a different resolution (but not one over 1280x720.

It does work with my ATI card in my HTPC.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not, but I've found the latest nVidia drivers (released maybe a month ago) to be less than friendly with Powerstrip. I have a Samsung 240T (widescreen LCD monitor) that I can no longer drive at 1920x1200 because of this change (I have to drive it at 1920x1080 instead). Powerstrip will claim to make a 1920x1200 resolution change but I can tell it is still the 1080 line output. So you might try using earlier driver versions. The change seems to be related to the new nView stuff.

(Just looked at the nVidia web site and I believe the drivers that used to work were the 41.09 ones... I see there is now a version 44.03 which I haven't tried. They all say nView 2.0, but the one I have added some new nView menus and whatnot.)

(Pardon me while I keep editing this post, but I tried just now and couldn't get the 41.09 ones to work either and looking closely at the driver it seems like display modes are stored in the new way, not the old way. I'm now trying the rather drastic option of switching to the 30.82 drivers.)

Well, I finally got it working again with the 30.82 drivers. My mode was already a supported one though, so I didn't need to add a new one. I just needed to convince my monitor driver that it did in fact support such a high resolution and then set up a custom timing for it.

You might want to consider just switching over to a Radeon 9800 or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.