AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new TV home today. After it stayed on for about five minutes of picture perfect, the screen started to act up. The display became descrambled (see attached pic) and basically unwatchable because nothing is visible. Only horizontal lines remained on the screen. While the screen was frozen as such, the audio seemed fine. I turned off the TV and re-started it again after a few minutes and of course, it was fine again. But then again, it was fine only for less than five minutes.

I also tested TV with a DVD movie and the same thing occurred. The screen only lasted a few minutes. It is as if the TV is overheated. Also, there is a screeching noise coming from the TV after the screen is frozen. Not sure if this noise is related to this problem or not.

Any help/tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The screeching is probably the color wheel.

What you have is not normal - I'd exchange it for another one (if possible).

·
Registered
15,737 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen due to the cable company putting incorrect settings on the HD cable box (I believe 720I, which is not supported by the Samsung). As soon as I changed it to 720P in the Cable box menu, it was totally fixed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ditto what Bill said.

Are you using a 5100 STB?

Mine did the same when I tried to watch an HD channel with just the digital cable box. I traded the digital for the HD version Magnavox 5100 over the counter. Be sure and get the instruction manual. YOu need the first set the Sammy up with composit or s-video connections so you can see the menu. With the STB plugged in but power off, push the menu button and set the box to 16:9 and Component to 1080I (I know the Sammy is native 720P, but at 720P I don't get full screen on HD) and the 4:3 overide to 480p which gives me menues on all channels.

This will power the component connection and you can now set the sammy for the component.

Good luck it's great when configured. BTW the DVI isn't supported.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.