AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1.5 years of ownership, my Samsung HLT6176S 61" DLP is giving me some problems and I'm trying to find out if it's worth trying to fix or not.

Starting a couple of weeks ago, while watching TV the screen will:

1. Go black for 1-2 seconds

2. Picture comes back for 3-4 seconds with a very green & pink tint to it (Note: I can still see the picture fine, it's just green/pink tinted...it is not a solid green color like I have read reports of)

3. Screen goes black for 1-2 seconds

4. Picture comes back to normal

This process happens about every 5 minutes while watching TV. I don't know enough about the Samsung DLP's to narrow it down to a bulb, ballast, color wheel, etc. etc. issue. It seems as if the problem is happening more frequently as time goes on.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Could be the dmd board. Did you use a credit card with an extended warranty provision when you bought the tv? Did you register the tv at samsung's site, which would extend the warranty to 18 months. If not, do it now and then call them for a warranty repair. They often extend the warranty to a tv so close to their warranty period. Try to get with Executive Customer Service when you call and you may get the extended warranty repair.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16980837

Could be the dmd board. Did you use a credit card with an extended warranty provision when you bought the tv? Did you register the tv at samsung's site, which would extend the warranty to 18 months. If not, do it now and then call them for a warranty repair. They often extend the warranty to a tv so close to their warranty period. Try to get with Executive Customer Service when you call and you may get the extended warranty repair.

Thanks for the information. I did not purchase an extended warranty for the TV. I'll register the TV on the Samsung website as soon as I get home from work today and contact Samsung regarding repair of the set. I will post back here with the results.

Is the warranty extension to 18 months a definite when registering the product online?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/16981020

Yes, the extension is mentioned in the second paragraph at the top, at the link below for registration.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/...ductRegist2.do

It seems that registering only grants an extra 3 months onto your registration period. I think my TV came with a 1 year warranty, so registering would extend it to 15 months.

I bought my TV on 4/14/08 and even the 15 month warranty would have ran out on 7/14/09, so I'm still out of luck.

If the warranty were extended to 18 months instead of 15 then I could still take advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GelatinousFury /forum/post/16980703

...Starting a couple of weeks ago, while watching TV the screen will:

1. Go black for 1-2 seconds

2. Picture comes back for 3-4 seconds with a very green & pink tint to it (Note: I can still see the picture fine, it's just green/pink tinted...it is not a solid green color like I have read reports of)

3. Screen goes black for 1-2 seconds

4. Picture comes back to normal

This process happens about every 5 minutes while watching TV...

Tried unplugging Tv from power for 5 min?

Happens on all inputs?

Can you press menu during this time and what do you see?

If you know how to access service menu, does it happen on internal test patterns?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16981091

Tried unplugging Tv from power for 5 min?

Happens on all inputs?

Can you press menu during this time and what do you see?

If you know how to access service menu, does it happen on internal test patterns?

1. I will try power cycling the TV tonight.

2. I've only noticed it happening on the input I watch DirecTV on but I'll put in a Blu-Ray or DVD tonight and see if it happens with those inputs as well.

3. Again, I'll check again tonight and see.

4. I've never accessed the service menu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.