AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a great deal on an open box Samsung sir-t165 and a Mitsubishi HD2000 DVHS deck. But my TV doesn't have firewire in (has DVI and Component). I have tried a quick search of the forums here and tried the units, but I can't playback the recording through the Samsung. Is this possible using these units. The samsung manual specifically states that it is compatible with this DVHS deck. Does anyone have any experience with these units together??? Can you playback through the Samsung???? I just now tried recording the pregame for the superbowl and it gives me an error CP message??? If I can't get this to work I only have 48 hours to return the units please help. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Mike,

I've been using this combo for over a year now, and can verify that the the Samsung will accept the FireWire signal from the Mits VCR and play it back over the component outputs. So it should work perfectly with your TVs component video inputs. Just remember to control the VCR using the STB's FireWire interface.

---Rudy

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I just recorded one minute of the pregame show without any problem. You may want to check your connections if you continue to have problems.

---Rudy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Rudy, i think there is something wrong with the mits unit. Quick question , when you record a tape during playback does it flash back and forth between DVHS and SVhS? mine does. I think something is wrong with the recording. It lets me record , but when I am playing the tape back it flashes between DVHS and SVHS on the display while it is trying to play back the tape. I just get a blank screen on the display. I did see a flash of recorded picture with audio for about 10 seconds on one of my attempts. If I try to playback using the analog outs on the mits it gives me the message that this is a digital recording, but that message is not constant. It shows snow for 4 or 5 seconds then shows the message for a few seconds, then snow again.... I suppose I could have a bad tape , but I hate to buy more tapes, since they are not exactly returnable.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Mike,

I've found that cleaning the heads on the deck (there's a special head cleaning tape available from JVC for DVHS decks) completely eliminates the problem. As for the "defective" tape, it always plays back fine after I've cleaned the heads, but as a precaution I never use the Mits deck to play back standard VHS (or even SVHS) tapes; I use a separate SVHS deck for that. However, the Mits deck makes superb SVHS recordings from analog sources, so if you want to use it to record on SVHS tape make sure you use the highest grade available; just avoid using the deck to play back prerecorded VHS tapes.

---Rudy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Rudy I will try to find a head cleaner. With the 48 return policy for the items , I don't know if I will be able to find one. I think I will just go ahead and keep it. It is supposed to have a full warranty, so worst case I send it in and they will fix/replace it. They also said I could purchase a 2 year extended warranty for $20 within 30 days so I may just do that. The unit was $179.

Do you have any problems with the unit???

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I have two of them, including one that was a demo at a local Sound Advice (Tweeter) store, and neither of them has given me any problems. Both HD and SD digital recordings are excellent, and SVHS recordings are flawless....far better than any standard SVHS deck I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdg
Thanks, Rudy I will try to find a head cleaner. With the 48 return policy for the items , I don't know if I will be able to find one. I think I will just go ahead and keep it. It is supposed to have a full warranty, so worst case I send it in and they will fix/replace it. They also said I could purchase a 2 year extended warranty for $20 within 30 days so I may just do that. The unit was $179.

Do you have any problems with the unit???

Wow! That was a good price! I posted here not too long ago that a Fry's here in Dallas was selling the HD1100U model for 199 and I thought that was cheap. They still have the HD2000U going for 499! I would have jumped on that too! I would prefer the Mitsubishi model over the JVC due to the JVC issues going around. The only issue you will have is that the Mits models do not play D-Theater tapes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.